Vintage Iron World MX Championships

Started by OUCWBOY, June 22, 2002, 10:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUCWBOY

Hi all!
I just returned from Glen Helen Race Track in Southern CA. This is the site of the Vintage Iron World Championships.
I just want to let everybody know that Bruce McDougal riding his 1972 Mettco 125 Penton won the Pre 72' 125 Expert class and the Pre 75' 125 Ecpert class. Larry Good took a 2nd in the Pre 72' 125 Intermediate class. Great job to you both. These were the only two Pentons entered. One other Penton was there, but, it was on display in the Bike Show. It was a great looking 1974 Six Day owned by one of our members (Don McGregor). I left before the Bike Show was judged, so I don't know the outcome.
Donny
PS I do have a few photos of Bruce's Mettco and Don's Show bike.
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Richard

I would like to see any and all photos of the Mettco Penton. If you can't find a place to posts the photos, could you e-mail them to me?

Richard

P.S. Get well soon!

OUCWBOY

Richard,
I tried to send you the photos, but I got that returned mail message. Please email me you email address at  [email protected]  

Thanks
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Richard

Donny, my e-mail is [email protected]. Thanks for trying!

Richard

penton117

Hey Donny,

Thanks for the kind words on my show bike. It ended up getting second place with a very clean Bultaco winning. I guess my bike looked pretty good as two guys wanted to buy it before it was even unloaded from my truck!

Richard

Donny,

Thanks for sending me the photos, could you tell if the Mettco Penton was using a 28mm or maybe ever bigger carburetor?

Richard

OUCWBOY

Richard,
Looked to me like a 32 or 34 Bing Carb model 84. Looks like the carb on my 78' 250 MC5.

Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

OUCWBOY

I mailed photos to Doug W too. Maybe he can throw some light on this subject.

Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tlanders

OUCWBOY

Teddy,

They are on their way. Big file to load on a 56K, takes about 10 minutes.

Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Richard

Donny,

The carburetor looks like a Bing type 84 to me too, and I think 32mm is the largest type 84 made. The only experence I have had with the larger carburetors on Sachs 125cc motors produced good top end power but an engine that loads up when ever the motor boggs. Setting on the side of the track with the fuel valves off waiting for the engine to clear never wins races.

Does anyone have any suggestions on large carburetors besides not letting the rpm's drop?

OUCWBOY

Richard,
I've heard that the 32mm Bing works well on 125's with a big bore cylinder (175). I had a 175 Penton with a 34mm on it and it was really quick and didn't load up at low speeds.
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR