70-71 down pipe pic.

Started by rob w, July 04, 2002, 12:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

I would really appreciate your help on this one. I have been looking thru everything I've got, publication wise. But can not find a picture of a 70 or 71 with a down pipe. I figured they made them because of the mount on the frame. Were the pipes a hi-point item? They must have been an oddity eh? I'm curious to see what they looked like. Thanks alot. rob w

tmc3c

Hey Rob, Yes they made them because I had one on my 125cc that I flat tracked in the 70's. I can't tell you much nore than that,but it was a down swept pipe that came down under the frame.I have alot of pictures of me flat tracking but they all have me using the stock pipe with the cone off.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

Hey Rob go to the links of pog and go to light source graphics, Custom Penton posters,and then click on cyclone and ther is your down swept pipe.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Kip Kern

Rob

Come to Mid Ohio as I have one on a 70 prototype Jackpiner!  You can check it out.  Yes, Hi point offered a downpipe for the bikes I still have a NOS in the bag.

Paul Danik

When I picked up what was the Tyran USA parts supply several weeks ago, there were a number of NOS downpipes for the Sachs engines included. Tyran used the Sachs engines and EC Bert made the pipes.  Each pipe has his initials stamped into it.  There are actually three different pipes, each with a different "stage" of tune.  Also included were some Sachs superlite pistons with a hole above the wristpin hole in each side.  There is a cast "port" area around this hole to allow for some fuel to be shot into the specially ported cylinders.  Does anyone know if E.C. Bert is still around?  He seems to have been trying to get all he could out of these engines.  Has anyone ever heard of this type of Sachs piston before.  These pistons are a Sachs product still in the original boxes, not some backroom creation.  
Thanks
Paul

SoCal996

I believe Chris Brown's 175 displayed in the photos section had a EC Bert pipe. This pipe looks similar to the one I had on my 73 125 which I purchased from Mettco. I'm still looking for a place to get one made. I would certainly be interested if EC Bert could be found.

rob w

Thanks Thomas, Kip, Paul, & SoCal.        Kip- I was thinking you'd know about this. You can bet I'll be checking it out at mid ohio. If you have room to bring that NOS pipe, I could quickly get the dimensions off it. With the help of Air Cone, I can make pipes. Maybe I won't have to though?  Kip, Paul- When you guys say you've got certain parts , I'm not sure what that means, I don't want to bug anyone, But does that mean you could  part with one of those items? Something comes to mind as I was writing this, I recall in 73, trying to install a TM125 pipe on my Berkshire, I saw that it had been done, but I don't remember  using it.  Once again, Thanks all.

Edited by - rob w on 07/04/2002  11:46:49 PM

Kip Kern

Rob

I'll be more than happy to bring the pipe to Mid Ohio.  I had Gary at Aircone make 6 70/71 Ppipes for me and his work is outstanding!  A little slow but that's restoration!  I also sent Gary a 70 Penton frame/engine set up to use as ajig to make pipes for us!

desmond197

Hey Paul I need to talk to you about Tyran parts I have two Tyrans and I am looking for a stock pipe and a couple of side covers. give me a call 912-462-8947