Sach clutch side leak

Started by Steve Minor, February 02, 2014, 10:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Any ideas how to stop a clutch side leak on my 72 Six Day? Everything looks good.....greased the gasket when I changed the fluid, screws are tight....just a drip. Would it help if I doubled the gasket?

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

Paul Danik

Steve,

Are you sure it isn't leaking between the shift shaft and kickstart shaft, possibly past the o-ring?

Paul

firstturn

Steve,
  Paul is right to check the O-ring.  On some of the ones I have helped people with that didn't want to change out a worn shaft I put two o-rings on and it stopped the leak.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

G Ellis

Steve check and see if you have and old shaft that dose not have the O ring grove. If not I would replace the shifter shaft that has the grove.

Steve Minor

Hey Guys....thanks for the help. I'll take a look at the shaft and O-ring.

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

Bill Ryburn

Also, check to see that the copper washer on the lower case screw is not flattened or missing. This is the only case screw with this washer and it is frequently overlooked.
Not sure is this is required for all Sach engines, but is for a 5A.
Bill Ryburn

joe novak

Bill is correct to look for the copper washer on the lower screw near the shifter/kickstarter.    This is actually and oil drain screw and will most likely leak if not sealed.  As others suggest, the shifter seal in the case, and O-ring.   I stack a few O-rings between the shifter and kickstarter.   I remove the thin gasket, and use silicone sealant.   Mine never leak.  (I had six Pentons....   Good luck,  joe