Repairing a modern Clarke after-market tank

Started by Mark P, February 06, 2014, 11:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark P

Thought I'd ask an "after-market" tank repair question. I did a search on the forums and could not find a specific thread for my question.

I purchased a translucent Clarke 2.7 gallon tank for my 2007 KLX 250. It is about  18 months old and now out of warranty. It fit very well and was easy to install. Recently I noticed a drool from the rear female brass fitting(it has two female brass inserts for the fuel lines that lead to a frame mounted petcock. I took the tank off twice, checked my fuel lines (brand new-I replaced them) and also replaced the o-rings that go in the brass fittings that screw into the tank. After doing all of this, it still leaked. The leak would form enough to drip from the fitting onto the cases. (Not a constant drip).

My inspection revealed the plastic immediately next to the leaking fitting was discolored. This wasn't just on the exterior or interior surfaces but appeared to DEEP inside the plastic next to the brass fitting. I could see air bubbles in the plastic next to the fitting because of the discoloring. The front female brass threaded insert is clean and new looking.

I contacted Clarke and they gave a return code to me, reminding me it was out of warranty. I shipped the tank back and they contacted me yesterday stating the only "offer" they could make was to sell a new tank for 229.00 minus a 10% discount. I stated that I already purchased tank from them, feel it is fairly new and defective, and would not want to risk buying ANOTHER. They then offered to sell a new tank with a 20% discount.  I stated I was hoping for a new exchange. Tiffany told me that she would check with a higher and then contact me later. I'm currently waiting for the return call.

My questions(this is first after-market tank I ever purchased) if Clarke does not send a new tank:

1. Can this leaky area next to the female brass fitting be repaired permanently so I feel secure riding the bike a hundred miles in the desert/Mexico?  Clarke actually told me on the phone that repairs generally don't work well on the tanks.

2. Is it worth the time to attempt a repair or should I toss the tank and write it off to experience?

I am soured on after-market tanks right now. Appreciate all assistance.

Mark
Temple, TX
1973 Six-Day(long gone but fondly remembered)

sixdazed

I've always used IMS tanks with no problems.If you try to repair you might try Marine-Tex (kind of like jb weld for the boating industry).Hopefully Clarke will take care of it for you.If not maybe mention your next tank will be an IMS-that might prompt them to make good on the tank,Good Luck,
                           Ric
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

firstturn

I agree with  Ric on the Marine-Tex, but clean it with paint  thinner.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mark P

Thanks all for great direction! Will update thread after I hear from Clarke.

Richard Colahan

I hope Clarke offers you a reasonable settlement...
On a positive note, I have used one of their tanks on my XR650L for 6 years...well over 15k miles...no problems.
-Richard
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Mark P

Well, good news reference my Clarke tank. They contacted me again and said they will warranty the tank and send a new one one to me! I pay shipping cost(which is certainly not an issue). Perhaps this will work out!