8mm Hex Nuts

Started by Keith Meatyard, February 09, 2014, 09:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

Anybody know where to get some 8mm x 1.0 (fine thread) hex nuts that are 14mm across the flats (use 14 mm socket) rather than the standard 13mm found everywhere I have looked?

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Jason Rowland

Keith Meatyard

Jason, I can't tell from their picture if they are describing 14mm across the flats or the points of the hex.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Jason Rowland

Yeah, hard to tell, Keith.  Did that site provide a phone #?
Bicycle axle hardware is typically M9 & M10 at that pitch, with larger, flat-faced nuts to provide a stable address to the dropouts - perhaps the local Schwinn dealer will have the oddball pieces you need?

Service Supply Company "House Of A Million Screws" (don't get me started) in Indianapolis has always had just about everything off the beaten path that I've needed: 317-704-1000.  Happy hunting!  JR

t20sl

I would think those would be your 14mm.  Never seen anyone measure a nut point to point.
I can look at another location if you can't find any I may have some how many do you need?
Do you need plated or bare steel?  Ted

Keith Meatyard

There are four of these "larger than normal" nuts that hold the head on the cylinder of a Bultaco project.  I found a guy in Arizona with lots of Bultaco parts who is familiar with this and has some that he is sending me.  The other main Bultaco people do not have them and said they have been unable to get them for years now.

Thanks for the tips, I may have what I need in a couple days.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Kip Kern

I got mine from Fastenal, 8mm x 1.0 pitch

Keith Meatyard

I checked with Fastenal.  They have 8mm x 1.0 pitch, but the problem is finding that with 14mm across the flats (14mm socket to remove).

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Kip Kern

Keith

How many do you need, that I remember, there are only 2 on the bike.  I may have some extras floating around the shop if you need them.  [email protected]  CZ used the same size nut in a few places on the 71/72 bikes

Keith Meatyard

Thanks Kip.  I'm supposed to have some headed my way thanks to Bud's Bultacos in Arizona.  The head takes four of these nuts, and one of them had been replaced with a 13mm, but they were all a little rusty.  I'll let you know if the new ones don't show up.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Kip Kern

Cool, never thought of Bultaco and I have a 78 370 Frontera!![:o)]