Air filter oil

Started by fastwillie8568, March 21, 2014, 11:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastwillie8568

What oil is everyone using to lube there air filter. I am still using regular motor oil and still using gas or solvent to clean them, or should I be using the modern sticky oil?

Rocket

BelRay filter oil is the best I have ever found.  Kind of expensive, but well worth it.

derek martin

Belray filter oil here too and I use the Belray grease on the filter sealing surface.

Richard Colahan

I strongly recommend moving away from using gasoline or other solvent for the cleaning, and motor oil for the oiling.
I use a spray-can filter cleaner designed for just that purpose.
Currently using PJ-1, but there are a number of sources.
These cleaners are biodegradable, and water soluable...just put on your nitrile gloves...spray the filter...hose it through with the garden hose.
That cleans it about 95%, and cuts through the tacky filter oil.
Then wash it out in a bucket of warm soapy water, followed by a rinse in warm clean water. It will look like new.
Allow to dry completely...then oil using a filter oil or spray desgned for that purpose...not motor oil.
Sounds like alot...but takes less time to do then to type this post...
Engines like clean air...

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Dale Fisher

I would question first what type of foam media you are applying it to.  One of my bikes I have a Uni filter on and other(s) No Toil.  The UNI uses oil in a bottle and a spray cleaner followed by a rinse and dry.  The No Toil uses a spray oil a powdered cleaner dissolved in water with a rinse and dry and oil re-application.  My preference of the two in the No Toil system.  It just seems a little easier when you can keep the cleaner water available to wash you hands clean once you have the foam re-oiled for use.  [^]

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

brian kirby

I used Bel-Ray for many many years and it is VERY good, but I started using PJ1 spray on filter oil and spray on cleaner. The PJ1 spray on oil is every bit as tacky as the old Bel-Ray blue, but its SO much easier to apply, and with the spray on you get a nice thin even coat. A common mistake people make is putting too much oil on a filter which is easy to do with the pour on Bel-Ray. The spray on cleaner is nice too.

Brian
Brian

tomale

I started using No toil  years ago, and I have had good luck with it, I am not sure if the other water based products do the same but I have noticed that if I need to leave the bike sit for awhile, the oil on the filter begins to harden and I have to wash it again before I ride that bike. So now if the bike will not be used for a few months, I clean the filter and instal it but do not oil it up until I am ready to ride again. A bit of an annoyance but not a deal breaker, I like how the product works. I have used one or two others that are similar and they seem to work pretty well too.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74' 1/2 440 maico
70' 400 maico (project)
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki
Honda TL 125
2004 Suzuki DL1000

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

wfopete

I used filter oil to adjust my jetting. If the motor is running too lean, I apply lots of oil, too rich = thin coat of oil.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good