Carl Cranke Speed Pipe

Started by tmc3c, July 12, 2002, 06:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

Who and Where can I have a Carl Cranke pipe made for my 76 250 G.S.? What is the hot set up for a silencer? Any ideas on cost? Has anybody tried a speed pipe on a stock motor?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

john durrill

Thomas ,
 i can send you the specs on a 250 speed pipe.
 then you would need to use a good pipe builder to make it up.
They would need your old pipe for a pattern
dont kow what the cost would be but it would be over $250 from what has been posted on here befor.
It takes time and skill to make the cones and bend the header then weld the whole thing up.
John D.

tmc3c

Rob, from what I heard the power is all through the power band. I am building this bike for racing but like to ride on the weekends and "suprise" unexpecting buddies! Thanks John for the specs on the porting and pipe. I have the stock pipe and wonder if having the porting job done how a stock pipe would effect the power?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

john durrill

Tom I would try the pipe first. then go to the porting if its not enough for you. the amount of port work shown will almost certainly shorten piston life if not the whole bottom end. From what I am told the pipe alone may give you all you hoped for.
Air Cone can make up the cones and strait piece. they can supply a header also. then you will need to find a welder local to fit the steel to your bike.
 I learned to oxy accet weld just so I could do little things on my pipes way back when.
If you like I can send you a scan of how you can cut and weld a pipe or cone and bend it with out loosing the true dimensions that are given on the Cranke spec.'s
John & Peter

Edited by - john durrill on 07/13/2002  8:26:38 PM

rob w

Thomas, I'm not serious, faster is good sometimes. I'm just questioning the hassle you'd have to go thru to get one or two pipes made. If it was something you could just purchase, then it would be a no-brainer to try. The Cranke mods might create a monster or could be a dud, depending on if you had all the right folks involved. This is interesting, for all of you wanting to get on the track to learning 2-stroke mods, and how to do it, check out TSRSOFTWARE.COM . I've only been there for a minute, I think it's about buying his instuctional imformation. Someone I know said it's very good.

tmc3c

Rob, Thanks for writing back,I am planning on using Mr. Lucas in Texas for my rebuild.I am hoping that with him doing the Carl Crank porting that I will be able to run with some of Today's bikes.With me living in South Carolina the woods are very tight, and I have many years of racing under my belt,much like many of P.O.G.members! Am I just dreaming of being able to run with them on the open power lines,rock roads?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

John,Thanks for your input.What I was hoping to do was kill two birds at one time,I am already going to send my motor to Mr.Lucas,so I was going to get him to port it while it was there,but now that you bring piston life into it,I not sure if your not right on with the pipe idea!What I am really trying to do might not be able to be done,running with todays bikes.There won't be any other vintage guy's around when I ride and I don't like bringing up the rear,but I Love Penton's!! I raced them in the 70's and I still want to be out front today!! Am I in a time warp?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OUCWBOY

Thomas,
Like John said and I've come to learn over the years is with speed you sacrafice reliability. Just depends on what you're looking for. If you want to scream around the track faster than anybody else, be prepaired to spend many nights rebuilding. I didn't like it much back in the day and even like it less now. Not to mention, the parts are much harder to find. So, like John says, try the pipe first. See if it helps.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR