Sachs Cylinder Head Stuck

Started by Todd Rovello, March 26, 2014, 08:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Rovello

I am disassembling a Sachs 125b motor and the cylinder head is stuck tight to the cylinder. It just won't separate.. and yes I removed the 4 head bolts. Tried tapping it with a rubber mallet, putting a sharp putty knife between the jug and the head to no avail. I am concerned about breaking the cooling fins. Would a little heat help? Any suggestions?

Kip Kern

With the head removed, I beat the piston out by suspending the engine slightly above the ground clasping the cylinder between my knees.  The engine weight and pounding force free the piston from the cylinder and doesn't damage the rod.  Rebore and fit new piston and you are there.  I use a 2 lb hammer and copper drift slightly smaller than the diameter of the piston. Spray some PB blaster around the piston and heat around the dome/cylinder area if really stubborn

AndyL

Ditto to Kip's method.

But I always seem to use a good piece of 2x2 hard wood instead of the copper drift.

Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

hankthecrank

Welcome Todd. I think if the head is stuck on the barrel,I would try gentle heat on the joint between the two and try tapping on the solid parts of the head with a long drift, brass or wood, an gently shock the parts. With the drift you can reach down past the fins and set up a resonation in the aluminum with some gentle taps. I;ve separated alot of aluminum pieces this way. Good Luck! Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Kip Kern

OH, I should have read the post better.  Remove a stuck head!!  If all bolts are out, I use a dead blow hammer and tap sideways on the lower edge of the bottom fin on the head so it sort of twists around.  don't hit the side of the fins as they will break.  Sorry, I need to pay attention better:D  The wife tells me that all the time[:p]

thrownchain

If the motor is not stuck, remove the cylinder as a unit, then you can tap the head from the bottom side.

Todd Rovello

Thanks guys. All good tips. Kip, my wife says I don't pay attention either.

tofriedel

If the piston is not stuck, have you tried kicking the engine over and let the engine compression lift the head away from the cylinder?

No damage would insue.

Tony
Tony