Ceriani 35

Started by harrO, September 15, 2014, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrO

Are the pinch bolts tightened before or after  the axle nut when installing the front wheel?  I'm at that stage in life where I tend to over think everything! Thanks.

Ernie Phillips

Tighten pinch bolts last.  Good idea to work the forks up n down through full stroke.  I like to pull the ft brake in, push forward/down, then tighten pinch bolts and brake arm.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

harrO

Thanks Ernie...that's the procedure I had followed in the past. This time I thought that maybe the legs would be more likely to be installed parallel if I pinch them on to the axle first before tightening the axle bolt. The legs seem to draw in a tad when I  tighten the axle first..like maybe I should install a shim. Just thinking... Thanks for your response.  Harry O

Richard

The fork legs should not pinch together when you tighten the axle nut. You might check to see if the shouldered end of the axle is free in the right fork leg when the pinch bolt is loose. The shouldered end of the axle should press against the wheel spacers which press against the wheel bearing inner race. if it's the handle on the end of the axle that's pulling the fork legs together you might not have the right spacers in the wheel or the wrong axle.

harrO

Great explanation...Going to take another look in the AM. Thanks Richard