Riding in WV

Started by paul a. busick, December 24, 2013, 09:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul a. busick

Hi to all and a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  I'm thinking about doing a Dual Sport ride in the area of Randolph county, WV.  I have looked at some of the trail on Youtube, but there is nothing like having a man on the ground in that area. Our base of operations will be in the Dry Fork region. Any one in that area that can be assistance with maps, etc. would be greatly appreciated. The ride will take place in June of 2014.  Amherst Paul

hankthecrank

Hi Paul and Merry Christmas to all the POG site! I'm about 3 hrs away from the Randolph county area but I've been in that area some. Is this the Rally WV function or just some guys going riding? I was able to see some of the rally action last summer and I saw a lot of bikes. I'll help in any way I can.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

paul a. busick

Hi Hank,  Thanks for the reply.  This ride is just a fun thing for   about a 1/2 doz. POPGGERS that think this would be something new and different. It is a totally unorganized, rip and tear function. We have been looking for a ride that we could put our KLRs, DRs and so on to some use. Starting this early may give some semblance of organization---- HOPEFULLY.  [:p]  Amherst Paul

hankthecrank

Hey Paul, Merry Christmas. I'm going to be close to the area for the next few days and I"ll scout out some maps and stuff, maybe find a PH # or two. I"m pretty sure almost all if not all the backroads are classed as Highways and as such all vehicles must be licensed. I'll do some digging. Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

paul a. busick

Hi Hank,
I look forward to receiving the information.  Happy New Year.
Amherst Paul

hankthecrank

Paul, sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I have been unable to get to the area and do some scouting. Have you already firmed up some plans? Are you going to trailer bikes in and tent camp? Do you need cabins, or tent spaces with showers, or are you looking for a wide spot on a backroad? Are you pulling rv's?  I know of some options for all the above. Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

rich skeweris

h ey paul,new to the forum and just read your post.i live just south of Oakland,maryland about 30 minutes from dry fork.not real familiar with the trails around dry fork but I am a member of a hunting club about 20 minutes from there that allows riding with a 5.00 permit as long as you are with a member.a friend of mine were just riding sunday we both have ktm 450s.if we know a head of time we might be able to hook up. thanks,rich

paul a. busick

Hank & Rich,
  Scott Brogan and I plan on attending the POG show and tell at the Ohio Valley BSA Reliability Run, etc. This coming weekend.  This is a fun event-you should attend. The event takes place at Toronto, Ohio-just a little north on Steubenville,Ohio.  The tenative dates for WV are the 26th-29th of June.  Scott has a family cabin that we will be staying in and using as a base.  Scott is the man to contact concerning the ride.  We had planed on it being more of a dual sport ride rather then a all out single trail run.  Scott has a KLR 650 and I'll use my DR350.
Paul

hankthecrank

Great news Paul. I forgot about Scott having the cabin close by. I might make it to the ride this weekend, I've been planning on bringing my Ducati but shes not ready yet. All my Pentons are without lights so the street legal look is also beyond me. I'll have to get on that. I see Ted G sometimes thru work related conferences and hes always on me to show up. Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

paul a. busick

Hank,
  Just hang something that looks like a head and tail light on one of your running bikes-also something that looks like a licence plate.  Some of the rides make a plate by color copying one of their street bike plates then covering it with clear tape.  The constabulary in the area turns a blind eye. Moral? Don't do stupid on the road sections. If you don't show you are truly missing a fun run. :)
Amherst Paul