Mikuni Float Height

Started by phats, June 02, 2014, 07:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phats

So ive fitted a VM 34 mikuni to my 79 GS250, got the jetting spot on runs and revs out fine, starts hot or cold, however if the bike goes over on its side (which it does quite often with me onboard) it floods and takes an eternity of kicking to fire up again.

Im guessing this is a float height issue, does anyone know what a suitable float height is?

Regards

Daniel P. McEntee

Typical float adjustment for a Mikuni is to have the carb upside down. float bowl seating surface level. The float arms should level also just as the tab on the arm assembly makes contact with the pin on the float needle. It is not uncommon for a bike to flood when it gets laid over on it's side. Laying a bike on it's side is a way to get extra fuel into the cylinder when trying for a cold start on a cold morning. If everything else is fine with the carb, I wouldn't mess with the float level, but instead work on a procedure for when you lay it down. If the bike is still running, try to keep it running. If it stops, shut the fuel taps off right away. Then when restarting the engine, hold the throttle wide open to let as much air into the engine as possible. Make sure the over flow passages on the carb are open and the tubing is clear and not pinched off. That's about all I can offer.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

brian kirby

Laying a bike on its side is going to flood it no matter the carb or float height. Dan has the correct method to set the float height though if you want to check/set it.

Brian
Brian