Sachs Engine Bolt-up

Started by Keith Meatyard, September 08, 2014, 07:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

I just set the Sachs motor back in the 71 Steeltanker frame and I notice that where the two 100mm rear mounting bolts pass through the frame gussets with the engine in between has about 1/8" clearance between the inside of the gusset and the cases on both sides.  The parts book doesn't indicate any shims or flat washers used to take up the extra space, but are they supposed to have that much room?  The spacing of the front mounting bracket matches the width of the engine case closely.  Any thoughts?

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Keith Meatyard

Think I found my answer by looking at Sachs cases/engines pictures on ebay.  It appears that the flat boss at each of the rear bolt holes on the cases has been milled down some.  I have no idea why, but I will have to place some spacers or washers in the gaps so the motor won't be loose.  Why do some people do what they do?

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

firstturn

Keith you are on the right track.  Back in the day most Pentons that were raced lost bolts and were never replaced and ruined the bolt holes in the engine cases.  Just center it up and be sure you ca line up the chain and make your shims and you are good to go.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh