Motorcycle auction

Started by Dave Withrow, November 04, 2014, 11:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Withrow

Went to the auction at Thayer last Sat.  Mostly Husky bikes/parts but they did have a '72 100 Berkshire......now I have it......I know, I know.....but you can never have too many Pentons right?

Big Dave

Dennis Jones

It was great to see you again Dave, now that we are sorta neighbors. It looks like we are in the Husky biz.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mick Milakovic

Hi Dennis, how's the 175 coming?  I just traded Jarrin's '01 KTM 125SX for three bikes:  1981 420 Husky auto, 1978 KTM 250 MC5, 1974 Husky 125 SC.  All need some work but look like great projects!

Mick
Mick

Dennis Jones

I just need to take it apart and make it look pretty now.

We picked up 2 vintage and 2 post vintage parts bikes at the auction. Got 2 sweet alloy tanks and the kicker and front wheel I was looking for.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Dave Withrow

Great to see you and Jamie too, Dennis......we definitely need to get together more often......
hey mick....tell me bout the mc 5.....runner?

Big Dave

Mick Milakovic

Dennis, sorry I missed that auction, but the guy I got the 360 auto from is selling me his entire inventory.....cheap!

Dave, the 250 is not a runner, but very close.  I'll post some pictures later.

Mick
Mick

Paul Danik

Gentlemen,

Apparently a couple of you attended the auction, having seen first hand the buyers desire for these machines and prices paid, would you care to provide us with your overall impression of the vintage motorcycle market?  Did any brand seem most desirable or least desirable?

Thanks,
Paul

Dennis Jones

Paul, Here is a link to the auction flyer
http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/mcy/4627665282.html

I don't know where to start with this,first I don't believe this auction can be used as a barometer for the vintage bike market.

Thayer, MO is in the middle of no where and the auction was first advertised as starting at 10:00 am and some how got switched to 9:00 so we were late.

Most of the bikes were Huskys and from the picture in the link I thought the may be very rough and they were, not much there for a collector or first time restorer. Though advertised as a collection it was more of a hoard.

But........if you were savvy as to what parts are desirable and what they sell for......there were bargains. We bought a near complete 75 WR 360 with a locked up motor, decent tank and perfect exhaust for $80 [:0]

Jamie and I intended to go just looking and to see Big Dave as he recently moved to our neck o the woods and didn't go prepared to buy a lot of stuff. There were really only three groups of us buying and it didn't take long to fill up Jamie's truck with a lot of stuff for not much money.

It was a very strange but very fun day.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Dave Withrow

Just to echo Dennis' remarks......the pieces/parts/bikes there would have brought more at mid ohio or even ebay......the problem in my opinion was timing and location......the market for these bikes is not what it used to be and getting smaller....I was surprised when I got there and saw maybe 25-30 people there....a few came later but I'd be surprised if the total number was 50.....it WAS a great day for husky builders as the prices were a fraction of what they would have brought somewhere else.....an example was a 200cc 4-wheeler (very rough but ran) for $20.....I picked up a 72 Berkshire for $175...It will need a lot of work but it needed saving

firstturn

Dave let me know if you are going to sell the 100?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dave Withrow

Paul Danik

Thank you gentlemen for your comments. I had seen the advertisement for the auction on Craigs List and it looked interesting, causing me to momentarily consider a road trip that would include a visit to the Mungaunst Museum, but then the reality of the distance and expense hit home.

I also noted at the time a lack of a link to an auctioneer's website or any other information, as well as a lack of photos. In the end the circumstances worked out and created a "buyers market" and I am glad you guys were able to be at the right place at the right time..:)

Paul