Barber Vintage Festival

Started by brian kirby, July 21, 2014, 01:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

Just in case anyone missed it, Barber has cancelled the vintage MX event, supposedly because of construction but I know better.

Brian
Brian

Lew Mayer

So it's just CC and roadrace?

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

brian kirby

Brian

seanguthrie

I heard through the grapevine a parking lot is going in the bowl where the MX track was.

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

brian kirby

Barber never wanted off road, AHRMA forced them to have everything but they only did it grudgingly. We have always had to race in a parking lot, but at least in '06 and '07 it was a nice off camber grass parking lot. In '08 we moved to the current south side location and they had a sign saying "Future home of the World's best Vintage MX track". Yeah, right. In '12, without notifying AHRMA Barber started selling camping passes for spectators in the former "off road pit" area. By the time many racers showed up mid morning Friday like they had every year before the pits were full, mostly with spectators. Last year AHRMA officials forced Barber, against their will, to guarantee a set aside off road area where spectators could not camp. When I got there Friday morning the area set aside was half the sized needed for the number of racers and a large portion of it taken up by spectators.

AHRMA should take the off road events somewhere that they are wanted and leave the RR folks at Barber. There are two other locations that would be infinitely better than Barber for the off road events and both would welcome us instead of being treated like burden. Monster Mountain would be ideal, they have a dedicated permanent Vintage track that is the best in the country, they have a trail system for CC, a trials would be easy to set up and they have a dirt track used for AMA races so AHRMA could add that also.

Brian
Brian

seanguthrie

Doesn't look like anything will be setup this year to compensate. :(

On a side note, Brian, you should put WV on your list next year.  The event is approaching legendary status.  That is as long as you don't get swept away by the rain!

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

brian kirby

I almost went this year but I didnt decide to go until it was too close to the event and I wasnt able to get the time off work.

Brian
Brian

Dwight Rudder

The event was cancelled because PORSCHE has leased the track area for the next 4 years. No time to build another MX area.  We will still be camping on the hill and the CC and Trials same as usual.
This is per Brian Slark.
Dwight

brian kirby

That area has always been used for the Porsche Cayenne driving experience, what makes it different now? They cant give it up one weekend a year?

I have a feeling all offroad will be somewhere else next year, which is the best thing that could happen for us.

Brian
Brian

Dale Fisher

More more details read Fred Guidi's information in Arhma's latest Vintage Views article.

Basically - The former dirt and grass parking lot used for the track has been paved.  They are seeking other options moving forward but nothing yet for this year as a replacement site.

Personally, I enjoyed multiple 18 hour trips to Barber and will miss the option of going specifically for the motocross and eating Brian's dust.

Bad edit job racing starts at a little over 8 minutes into the video.  I was going good until I missed a down shift and blew a corner.  Rhythm gone......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Jw1HzQgSo

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

jasonlamar

Anyone know if they are still having "off road" camping this year or is it open to the general public?

brian kirby

I'm sure it will be open to the public since it has been the last two years. Make sure you get there mid-day Thursday if you want a spot.

Brian
Brian

tooclose racing

Good luck to the POG riders showing up at Barber this weekend for XC. I don't quite have my sheet together enough to make that trip yet.

But I will.  Just to stand in that museum for half a day and drool.  Oh yea...and the XC race.  [8D]

tooclose racing

Good luck to the POG riders showing up at Barber this weekend for XC. I don't quite have my sheet together enough to make that trip yet.

But I will.  Just to stand in that museum for half a day and drool.  Oh yea...and the XC race.  [8D]