More Dirty Gas Tanks

Started by imported_n/a, July 23, 2002, 08:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

I've been paying attention to the threads on cleaning the fiberglass gas tanks.  My problem is a green '72 tank that just won't clean out.  I put a couple of gallons of clean gas in and let it soak for a couple of weeks.  Some crud came out.  Then I swished it around with some lacquer thinner and some more crud came out, but there was still a ton left.  So I dumped almost a quart of lacquer thinner in and let it sit for four days.  More came out, but I can still see a lot left.  I don't think, without somehow rubbing the entire inside surface of the tank that all the crud is going to come out.  
Based on your collective experiences, what options are left?  I've envisioned drilling a hole in a toothbrush handle and screwing it to a thin, flat piece of wood and trying to get into every nook and cranny, but that still won't get all the stuff out.  Any help??

Glenn

Steve Minor

Just at thought....can you poke the nozzle of a pressure washer into the filler cap hole? Maybe you can "blast" away the rest of the crud....then dry it with compressed air.

Steve Minor

imported_n/a

Steve, that's a great idea!  And while I'm there, I'll do my airbox as well.  The air and gas can't be too clean.

Thanks a lot.

Glenn