York, PA swapmeet, overwhelming success

Started by Paul Danik, January 19, 2015, 06:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings,
   York 2015 is in the books, but rest assured it won't soon be forgotten. Most times while at a swapmeet you realize at some point that the place is abuzz, then it dwindles, at York, it was abuzz the entire time. I don't have a handle on how many folks were in attendance, but the place was packed from the time the doors opened to the public till the start of the motorcycle auction. The place is very large filling two connected halls, so surely we are talking not hundreds of folks, but much, much more.

It was great to visit with the many POG members and Penton enthusiasts in attendance, as well as the many, many others who we seem to not get to visit with often enough. A big THANKS to the Potomic Vintage Riders for hosting an outstanding event. The Potomic Vintage Riders also had an outstanding booth set up in the area between the swapmeet halls, near the refreshment stand and cafĂ© sitting area. OUTSTANDING JOB by that club.

I have to share a quick story...  A booth was fairly much filled with various cycles for sale, plus there was a photo album sitting on a table title " Motorcycles for sale". I started to look thru the book when I noticed the booth owner watching as I turned the pages.. I asked if he had any Pentons, " No " was his reply, " but that Honda CT70 has a Penton seat on it", with that I looked at the little Honda and sure enough it has a near prefect seat from a Steel Tank Penton on it, the long version. The owner of the Honda was not at the booth, but a quick cell phone call closed the deal and cash changed hands, and the seat was unbolted from the Honda. Fortunately, the seat was mounted using the Penton mounting studs and the seat was not altered at all. With that I went back to my booth, figuring my York good fortune surely has just been spent :D

If you go and need a room, get one reserved early, there was a soccer tournament the same weekend and the area hotels were sold out early, I found out the hard way:(

Paul

thrownchain

With the auction being held on both days, would have been good for everyone to have the swap open both days. Other than that it was a good time, lots of vendors and potential buyers, and the weather was fairly decent both days, at least in York...

Kip Kern

Awesome, glad it was a great meet.  Don't forget, Rik Smits 2 day swap/auction is coming up in March at Lebanon IN Fairgrounds so hope the weather is great for this event too.
Paul, great seat story, I had a seat moment myself at Mid Ohio.  There was a unused short 68/69 Penton short seat on a vendors blue tarp lying upside down with a bunch of Japanese road bike seats.  The vendor said if I could tell him what that seat fit, I could have it for $10.  I told him and couldn't get the ten spot out of my pocket fast enough!  Love those unexpected great deals. That's what makes this hobby fun!

454MRW

I heard through the grapevine that the demand for spaces is growing and next year there will not be an auction so they can sell spaces in both rooms for the swap meet. I always thought that the swap meet should be both days and the bike auction detracted from the swap meet sales once it started. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Dale Sonnenschein

It would be great to have the swap meet both days. I came down with a bad cold and couldn't make it. Besides all the ice around us Sunday made travel tough. If the swap meet was both days I would have went saturday, cold and all.

73 Jackpiner
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
78 husky cr250
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

Mick Milakovic

If gas prices stay down it could be a great year for vintage bikers!

Mick
Mick

tofriedel

Paul Danik was also involved with some other Penton Parts. I took most of my Penton spare parts to the PVR Swapmeet and did quite well in selling a number of items, BUT.

The next day I began the finishing touches on a restoration of a Steel Tanker that is almost complete. When I uncovered the bike I noticed I had not installed the Speedo Bracket mount. After looking high and low, I realized that I had sold the mount at the swap meet but didn't remember who I sold it to.

I made a call to Al Buehner, hoping he might have one stashed away, but he had none. Al suggested I call Paul, which I did.

I called Paul, and explained my delima and without hesitation asked if I was talking about the one I sold to him at the swap meet, I didn't remember that Paul had bought the mount.

Paul quickly offered to send the mount to me. Thanks Paul, you are a true friend. I owe you a big favor.

Tony
Tony

Rick Bennett

Paul
Great meeting you at the York meet. I am the guy that bought a Six Days cylinder and ask you if it would fit my 74. I cleaned up the cylinder and it is on the 3rd bore and needs to go 4th. Still, better than the one I have for the basket case bike I am working on. Thank you again for your time and answering a couple questions on the bikes you rode back in the day. Sometime I will bug you for some more trivia. I will try again to make the POG meeting next month.
Rick

tofriedel

Quotequote:Originally posted by 454MRW

I heard through the grapevine that the demand for spaces is growing and next year there will not be an auction so they can sell spaces in both rooms for the swap meet. I always thought that the swap meet should be both days and the bike auction detracted from the swap meet sales once it started. Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R

Tony
Tony

tofriedel

They started using the other side of the halls last year for both venders and auctions.  This year there were more venders in the other hall than last year.

Expect to see more vendors there next year.  I also heard that there may not any auctions next year.

Tony
Tony