A short Tom Penton story

Started by Dogfeathers, December 08, 2003, 09:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

Great point and if I might add our President Paul Danik was very dangerous on a 100 or a 125 Penton.  When one even thinks of the skill it takes to ride a 100cc bike and then finish #1 out of all sizes and brands of bikes that is really a High Point in a career.  But as it was pointed out Dane went on to compete many times in the ISDT.  Thanks Paul for the reminder.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

This topic reminds me of the time in 2000 when Penton was Featured Marque at Mid-Ohio.  It was late afternoon on Sunday and we were taking the display apart and busy loading trucks with the display items.  Tom Penton and his family had been around all weekend as Tom was inducted into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame that same weekend and he also was involved with the POG/Penton display.

I had been riding my "Berkie" around Mid-Ohio all weekend with a 30 year old expired dealer plate on the back to make it "Mid-Ohio legal".  Tom asked if I had loaded up my bike yet, I responded that it was leaning against the fence above the display area.  He then asked if his son could ride my bike as he had never ridden a Penton.

Here is John Penton's son asking if John Penton's grandson could ride my Penton as his first ride on the families namesake machine, and I had thought that all of the neat things about Mid-Ohio in 2000 were over! I fueled the bike and told him to enjoy himself, and off he went, I don't know if he was smiling but I know I was:D

Paul

LynnCamp

Paul's story is particularly wonderful.  And... like Dane, he is very modest about the whole thing!  He gave a brief overview of it on the Penton Racing Talk forum under "ISDT" stories. I particularly liked the comment his mother made about his Gold arriving in the mail (as I was always facing an all night drive to get home after an enduro.... I never wanted to stay as late as it took to pick up a trophy).

I would also like Paul to add the story of his first encounter with John on the "My First Motorcycle" post in the Penton Racing Talk forum. (Paul is that story up on one of the posts? also wondered if one of the POG newsletters - Still..Keeping Track has your story.)

Paul Danik

Lynn,
  Alan needed to fill some pages in the fall of 2003 issue of Still...Keeping Track, issue # 20, so he ran a member profile on yours truely, I might add that Alan really pulled a good one on me when he asked Sandie Augustine to give her account of those days. The asking of your question prompted me to dig out the article that Sandie wrote and to sit in front of the woodburned this morning and relive the great times that Augie and I spent together, Thanks!
Paul

BrianTaylor

This is an old thread but after 40 years I have found a picture that my brother Bill took at the 1975 ISDT of Tom Pentons " Flaming Penton " that is talked about in this thread (sorry Tom )  It is very blurry but I thought it would be interesting to post .... enjoy Brian T

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

dennis brown

i recall when tom penton had gone from vietnam to do the 6 days. i had already come home after my tours with the marines. and i heard of him  doing the 6 day. i thought how great that was!. i do not think the marines would have let him go.i must have been hard for him to go back to da nang. i was  farther north just south of the dmz

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

Dale Fisher

Thank you for bringing such a great story back out from the archives.  Another great source for general ISDT information, photos, and results information is the following website.

http://speedtracktales.com/

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
'98 HP-14 Hi-Point
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

BrianTaylor

Here is a pic of Tom and Turk Perepalkins bike  before the start of ISDT...... rest of the pics can be seen at http://s284.photobucket.com/user/isdt75/library/ [/URL][/img]

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor