shocks for vintage bikes?

Started by OhioTed, January 25, 2015, 04:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

I am completely out of the loop on currently-available aftermarket shocks for twin-suspended vintage bikes.  My impression is that you guys who are quite serious in the AHRMA game seem to be investing 500, 600, 800 bucks for a pair of shocks.  Am I mistaken?  

What's the bottom line?  I need something decent, but don't necessarily want to double the value of my bike just to replace the shocks.  

Advice?  Suggestions?  Best value?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

KJDonovan

Ted,

I use Hagon's and like them.  Check out http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/ he can build exactly what you need for realistic as opposed to ridiculous money.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

VICTOR MONZ

I am a fan of Works Shocks in Canoga Park, CA, they know vintage machines and will set you up right and customer service if first class.  $500 is around the cost and rebuildable quickly as you need..  Progressives work of your riding skills are in the middle and cheaper by a couple hundred.

Victor Monz

Dale Fisher

Ted,
Ultimately the choice other than expense depends on the use and desired appearance.  For a serious competitor, Works or something in that price range will provide the desired results on the rear end.  For general trail riding, and something that looks closer to original, look at Progressive (series 12 I believe) at half the price.  I have Hagon on my 500 Triumph and I'm not too excited about them for racing but they look like the original Ghirlling shocks I replaced.  They do a great job of providing a nice replica of the original Ghirling/Koni which came on the early Penton's.  They can be specified with a stainless shroud and would be good for a casual rider or display bike.  Email me if you would like me to send some photographs.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
'98 HP-14 Hi-Point
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

dennis brown

ted i have a set of progressive shocks on my 1972 husky and they work well! and are rebuildable.spending 700.00 dollars for 4 inches of travel may not be worth it

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

skiracer

How about a nice pair of rebuilt Marzocchi's with 12mm shafts, only $395?

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 XC
1979 KTM 175 GS
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

VICTOR MONZ

I just spoke with Dominic who worked at "Race Tech, has his own shop, knows vintage bikes and build to your desires, reasonable (909)936-2270 to discuss, he works full time for now but will be doing our thing soon.  He's an old schooled and racing himself.  He also recently set up my new KTM SX 150 for my skinny butt 140lbs and it made a world of difference.

Victor

Mickey Sergeant

My progressive shocks still for sale. About half the price of new ones

Mickey