Sachs 175 ??

Started by thrownchain, February 15, 2015, 05:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrownchain

Did Sachs ever make a 175 ? and if it did, which bike was it fit into ???

LeeBuff

Dan,
  Yes Sachs did make a 175 seven speed Hercules in the mid 70s. I don't think Penton had a production Sachs 175, except for a couple of one off R & D units and the Woodsman with the 152cc cast iron Cyl.

SouthRider

The Hercules 175 6 speeder was a fantastic bike for Southern tight woods riding. It was light, had a short wheelbase, quick steering, and excellent torque.

Mike Burgess sold quite a few of these when Doug Wilford was our Hercules rep. He also rode one in SERA enduro events for a year and won every Senior class that he entered (the next year he won an overall in Little Rock on a 7 spd from the Senior Class).

Great trailbike or ladies bike too.

Side story - In 1977 I raced that same 7 speed Herc 175 in SERA and earned my "A" card on it. Mid year I needed a piston & they were back ordered unobtanium. It was a flat top piston to go with the D shaped combustion chamber.

The only thng I could get my hands on was a leftover dome shape piston for the 6 speed 175 engine. To make it work I hand ground the D shaped cylinder head with a portgrinder into a hemispherical shape to match the domed piston and checked the deck height with some modeling clay.  

It worked, and I accidentally ended up with the fastest 175 in the South. More importantly - I got to finish the season.

When I moved up to a 250 Husky the following year I had people wanting to bid on the engine. It ended up with Dwight's friend Larry Arrington in Jackson MS - who bought the whole bike just to get the engine...

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax