Swingarm bearing replacement-

Started by clayman, July 29, 2002, 12:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

Could someone plese walk me through swingarm removal/bushing replacement step by step? Unfortunately, I don't have a manual to consult to. Hopefully, the swingarm bolt won't be frozen, as is the case in a lot of motorcycles from that era.
Sincerely,
Clay Light
Salem, Oregon

tmc3c

Hey Clay what are you working on? I am not sure if all Penton swingarms are the same.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

clayman

TC-
I'm working on a 1972 Penton 125. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!
CL

tmc3c

Clay I went through all my info I have collected and I have the rebuild on the 175&250 but nothing on the 125 other than the torque spec of 75ft.lbs and the bushings are a automotive type bonded rubber bushing,it says that the swing arm pivot bolt should be kept tight and continually checked. Sorry I couldn't be of any help!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

jj

Clay,

I took the easy way out. I handed mine over to my local machine shop and for $20 plus a couple days wait they were out, no sweat. I installed the new ones with a home made press made out a threaded rod, 2 nuts and a a few washers or a block of wood. When you press them in make sure that you don't press against the center shaft, you can avoid this this by building up a couple of different size washers or carve out a depression in a block of wood. Stop pressing when the outside flange of the bearing is flush with the outside edge of swingarm. I also coated the bearing with anti-seize before I pressed. That should do it.

John J Slivka
John J Slivka