Happy Birthday Doug Wilford

Started by Paul Danik, April 08, 2015, 10:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Today is Doug's 78th. birthday....:)

His wonderful wife Dot said he had a nice breakfast with his daughter and seems to be having a good day. Dot said she has taken some potted tulips and daffodils into Doug's room to give it some spring cheer, to Doug's great delight. She was heading over later with some B-day gifts and to have lunch with him.

The Wilford home is truly one of the premier garden spots in the Amherst area and Doug always had a long list of what he called "honey doos" to attend to in keeping the gardens in proper order, and he sure had the talent to do so.

Doug's room is decorated in the "early Penton" style of decorating with Penton memorabilia replacing the "normal" photos and such, Dot said he was looking over some of the old photos a few days ago when she was visiting.

Dot says there are good days and some not so good days, and she really treasures the good days. She has a great attitude and Doug is quite a lucky guy to have her.

I asked Dot of it was OK to make this post and she readily agreed, "Doug has a lot of friends who wonder about him and that will be fine".

The POG sure owes Doug a debt of gratitude for all that he did over the years for the Group. We sure do miss having him at the meetings.

Doug played a big part in the enduro / ISDT scene "back in the day", as well as being an important cog in the Penton gear set. Many of the original articles and Penton newsletters from "back in the day" have either mention of Doug or were written by him to help inform and lead the dealer network.

I was just looking for some info on the 1972 ISDT this morning and most of the stories have that famous photo with the Penton ISDT Trophy Team, which Doug was the Manager of, holding the Watling Trophy for most improved team at the conclusion of the event. The photo is on page 120 in the John Penton book if you want to see it.

Happy Birthday Doug, and Thank You !!!!

Paul

firstturn

Thanks Paul and Happy Birthday Doug and thanks Dot for your wonderful are of Doug.  Doug is part of the Great Story.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rocket

Happy Birthday Doug, hope you are having a great day.
Rod G

VICTOR MONZ

Happy Birthday, Doug.

My Mom (gone now) went to High School with you and she said all the girls said how cute that Doug Wilford was and I smile.

Bet you had them all wanting you and it appears you picked the best of them all.

Victor Monz

Mom was "Doris Ammons" Amherst High school.

hankthecrank

Happy Birthday Doug.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

ALB

Paul, thanks for the update on Doug.

I missed seeing Doug on his weekly visits to my store to pick up parts for his Sachs engine rebuilds. We would spend a half hour or more talking, telling stories.
Doug got caught up in wind sailing (in the 80's and 90's) and was involved with a club becoming an officer and also was involved with chairing one of their events. He knew from his experiences that whenever you become involved as an officer with any club there is a lot of work that has to be done often with no help.

When Doug became a member of the Penton Owners Group, he came to a few of the monthly meetings to get a feel for what was going on and how things were being run before he agreed to take on the duties of treasurer/ membership. He did a wonderful job of organizing the membership list and the monthly Treasurers report on spreadsheet programs that is still in use today. And when the job of being Treasurer became too much for him he allowed the POG over a year to find someone else (me) to take over those duties.

I also miss the "mailing parties" that I would hold over at his house to stuff envelopes, and put stamps and address labels for the quarterly POG newsletters. Dot would serve us coffee, tea, and cookies. Doug never turned me down for using their beautiful home for the base of operations. I sure appreciated their hospitality and of course all the volunteers that would show up to help out. It takes a lot of time to put those newsletters together and mail them out. Some of the regulars who would show up - Al Born, Al and Ollie Martin, Jeff and Jim Borer, and Paul Busick - help to make the job fun and easy.

Happy Birthday Doug. Love and blessings to you and Dot always. ;)

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Kip Kern

Dale Fisher

There are people that you meet that make a lasting impression.  Doug is one of those people.  I can proudly say that I am one of the few people who was given a tour of the Wilford residence and reveled over seeing many of his motorcycling accomplishments displayed on the walls.  He can be in part credited for me being a part of this group as he was one of my first contacts in rebuilding an engine.  I think about him every time I dig into the membership work.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
'98 HP-14 Hi-Point
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

SouthRider

Doug was our Hercules rep in the late 70's, introducing us to the 6 speed Sachs engine Hercs, The ****el street bikes, and then the7 speeders.

Mike Burgess just always had so much respect for Doug and what he has done for the sport.

Thank you Doug & Happy Birthday!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

tomale

Happy birthday Doug, wishing you the very best

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74' 1/2 440 maico
70' 400 maico (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki
Honda TL 125
2004 Suzuki DL1000

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W