74-74 250 clutch / hub

Started by Scott Sappington, April 28, 2015, 07:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Sappington

Need help identifying proper replacement of clutch plates. 74 - 75 250GS 6 speed. Manual can be a bit unclear. How do you know if you have an "old style hub" that starts with a (with out splines) tray ring? Was the tray ring used on the 250GS hub with 7 fibers / 7 steels? Is there a difference in hub depth or  clear differences to identify the hub? Manual "so no one way is correct" Gotta love that? I'm ready to assemble and need someone who can give some guidance!
Scotty

Kip Kern

No, the ring wasn't used with the 7/7 stack. All are different but use the same stack that it had when you tore it down, the pressure plate is where you get the correct clutch arm measurement.  There are 4 thicknesses of pressure plates and you have to try a few to get the proper measurement on the right side clutch arm.  First, make sure the 2 internal clutch rods are 108mm long each with a 6mm ball in between them for a total of 222mm then start the measuring process.  Have fun

Scott Sappington

Well, when disassembled, closest to (case) inner basket there were 2 steels, then fiber,7 then steel, ECT,, then ending in steel next to pressure plate. Manual (pic)shows early model starting with ring then steel 5 fibers, 6 steels. Late model, what year?? starting with a fiber?? steel ect..
Can someone give me the exact start (ring, steel, or fiber) and assemble they have used on the 74/75 250 Hare 6 speed with success. I am using a new Sureflex Fiber & steel kit (7 fibers & 8 Steels). Thanks Scotty