Riders impression of the 125/175 GS5 and a Piner

Started by john durrill, August 02, 2002, 11:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john durrill

We did some more playing with the 175 conversion tonight. we are using a pipe from a 73 piner with no stinger ( Just a 1 inch stub of 3/4 emt) and a Trapp .
  we dropped the # of disks from 6 to 4 and tried rejetting the Lectron to see if we could get this thing to run half as good as we hoped it would.
 Boy did we get a change!!!! here are my sons impressions on how it worked. we would jump on his 75 175 piner every so often to see how the changes compared to a good 175 piner.
Ok Pete you take it from here. :>))))

the 125/175 Sachs is easy to power and maneuver at low speed and its all fun from there.  as  soon as I turned the throttle the bike jumped but would creep over, around, and under clothes lines, burn piles, and small dogs *GRIN*.  once I gave it the gas though, it just tried to run away. The more I twisted the throttle the harder it pulled. I would say it pulls all of the way through the gears but I keep running out of road! it feels strong throughout the RPM band, though it doesn't quite have the  punch of the piner (and only by a HAIR!). the 125/175 GS/5 Sachs Penton KTM seems smoother and easier to use without the violent hit to get you in the "band".

to give us a baseline to tune the lectron we started off without a power jet at all, as previously it was too rich everywhere but right off of idle. with just 4 disks in the Super Trapp and no powerjet, it ran up to about 3/4 throttle before I'd notice it bogging slightly, sputter twice and then smooth out and pull until it revved out.  Adding a #25 powerjet smoothed out the slight bogging that it had showed, ended the sputtering and gave it a power hit about 1/2 throttle. Just to see the difference, we started up the 75 piner and took it through the gears. still didn't have the power of the piner, so we swapped to a #40. it was rich and a little under powered everywhere, but was still running cleanly. right at dusk we swapped the 40 for a #35 and it now seems to be just under the piner in brute force but broader and smoother with the delivery.
John & Peter