Steel Tanker at Daytona

Started by derek martin, June 19, 2015, 05:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek martin

Came across something of interest - go to superbikeplanet.com, click on News, then click on the story "Pondering the Banking"  posted on June 16th. They had no background information on the photograph only that it was a group of amateur road racers.

Derek, got my museum open you need to take a look. Were only a little over an hour away up route 1. Any time is good ph # 618-928-7411.

derek martin

Thanks for the invite  Dave. I'll get up your way here 'fore long.

Dale Fisher

Great find!

http://superbikeplanet.com/2015/Jun/150616b.htm

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
'98 HP-14 Hi-Point
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Paul Danik

The May 1973 issue of Keeping Track has a write up on that Penton Road Racer.

The owner was Fred Veator of Warner Robbins, GA. The article states that he took his old model Penton enduro machine and raced it in the Sportsman Class at Daytona and finished 13th out of a field of 45.

The article goes on to state, modifications included road racing tires, Honda foot pegs, a faring, clip-on bars and a road racing seat. Fred claimed that his Penton road racer looked as good as any racer at Daytona. In the one photo in the newsletter, it is obvious he also changed the front wheel assembly to one with some hefty breaking power but still a drum type brake.

There are two pictures along with the write-up and the no. 9 is very evident in the photos and it is surely the same machine as in the photo above, but then again, just how many Penton road racers ever hit the high banks of Daytona...:)

Paul

derek martin

I remember a Fred Veator racing AHRMA CC a few years back - same guy maybe?