Who wants to talk WASSELL

Started by Dennis Jones, December 31, 2000, 10:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Jones

Hi guys, my name is Dennis Jones, and I have 4 Penton/Wassell trials machines. One is a very origanal low hours 6A, one 6B that I have been riding in AHRMA trials for 3 seasons, One 5A I am building as a new competion machine( thanks to Larry it will have a new 152 cc kit), and a 6A that is complete, but needs an engine.                 My question is: Are the trasmissions in a trials bike different, or will any 125 Sachs fill the bill for the missing engine?          These bikes are really fun to ride once you  adjust to the small engine. They handle great and the front end never pushes.          I am also coordinator for the Midwest Vintage Trials Series. 2001 will feature 8 trials in MO, IL, and TN. Anyone wanting information can call me at 800-333-0438.       I hope everyone gets to go for a New Years ride. Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Kip Kern

Dennis  The early 100, 125, 175 Sachs will work as they share the same bottom end and stroke.  The big difference in the transmissions are number of gears.  You can put a 5A, 6A, 6B, in it and it will work.  I prefer the 5A with the larger, heavier crank, and the 5 speed transmission.  Parts are cheaper and shift keys are plentiful!  Don't think I would need a 6th gear for trials but it is a great MX engine!

Dennis Jones

Thanks Kip. I'm really looking forward to getting my (new) 152 5A engine back from B & J Racing. I'm sure it will be a lot different than the 6B I've been riding. What did the 175 come on? Can a person find one of these?

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Kip Kern

Dennis  The 175 came on some Jackpiner prototypes in 1970, Blue Steel Tank with "Jackpiner" on the tank.  The KTMPenton Jackpiner was not introduced until 1972.  So there aren't very many of the Sachs engined 175's around.  I have also seen a Sachs 175 in the DKW model around 70-71.  The 175 Sachs is a very rare breed, I know of only 3 myself, anyone else have any ideas?

Heinz Raidel

Kip,

KTMChas of the "ebay Penton" fame emailed me awhile back that he had a relative who owned a Sachs engined 175 penton at one time.  I think he said this relative still had a tank and side panels.  KTMChas if your still Pentoning here's your chance to enlighten us!

-HR

\\"Sometimes the only mark we make in life is in our shorts.\\"