King Ferry NY Two Day Qualifier!! Aug 22-23

Started by tooclose racing, August 10, 2015, 09:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

I must take this sport for granted, cannot believe there has not been any discussion about this wonderful event being put on by Cayuga County Riders on August 22nd/23rd:

http://www.ahrma.org/ahrma_pdfs/Z-2015/Nationals/Cross_Country/Previews/Web_Preview_ISDT_Qualifier2.pdf

Once again - I have missed the pre-entry, guess I just love contributing to local clubs and AHRMA.  

Very important fact guys:  CLOSED COURSE, no lights, tags, blah-blah required. They do require a Spark Arrestor.  I met the trail boss at Unadilla and he is absolutely passionate about how great the trails and tests are that their club has laid out.

I cannot tell you how beautiful this area is along the east side of Cayuga Lake in upstate NY, about halfway between Ithaca and Auburn. Not too sure about King Ferry hotel, but the Auburn and Ithaca motels are about 20-30 minutes away if you are not camping. Both cities offer great dining/food options.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/126+Lansing+Genoa+Town+Line+Rd,+Lansing,+NY+14882/@42.6222536,-76.6096574,9z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89d099891dc9128f:0x865736dcd4e04309

King Ferry

Not sure if our Canadian contingent will be joining as we have once again scheduled an event the same weekend as Ormstown Vintage Festival in the St. Lawrence river valley south of Montreal.  

As Jerry Maguire so famously asked - "Who's coming with me?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZZI6-zh0GM

Please share this with your riding clubs, email lists, etc.  

Dwight Rudder

Wish I was going but I have to attend a business meeting the day after over 1000 miles away also.

dennis brown

i rode a modern enduro at kingferry last yr on a honda 200xr in a rain storm,it was slick but rideable,the trails are fantastic. it is calling for dry weather for that weekend. this club has put on many events for a long time, hope to see more riders there

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

tooclose racing

Day 1 report in - about 50 entries for this event and what a shame.  These are some GREAT trails, mostly pretty tight in the woods with switchbacks and logs and creeks.  Trails are connected by circumnavigating corn fields that are TALL and Wide - oftentimes the "track" is 12 inches wide (less?) - at best. In special tests, I pushed it the point of scary, connectors - not so much.  

First day was six sections, with 3 of them being special tests, followed by a timed lap on their grass track.  32 tough, fun miles with the connectors being as tough as the special tests.  I ran out of gas (MX tank) on my Jackpiner about 200 yards from final rest for grass track lap and pushed.  Hoo boy.  They had some gas/oil at the start.  I drained my camelback pouch at that point.  Apparently everything we ran on will be IN this club's modern enduro next week - only with a 30 mph avg instead of 15!  OMG. I suspect we were "making trail" for the club with some of the connector routes.  So glad I was on last minute to leave the line.  

Fred Hoess has joined us for this, along with Drew Smith and a few other fast boys.   Our own Tim Ferguson is running a Triumph 250 set-up (slightly modernized) and matched pace with these guys.  Go "Turd" Ferguson!!

Soaked my aching body in bathtub last night AND this AM.  Today will be about 2/3's of yesterday's mileage, followed by an MX race.  Oh what fun!

tooclose racing

Day Two check-in: I hope the other POGGERs will weigh in (Dale, James, Teddy, Fast Willie, etc), but I absolutely loved this event. And I'm saying that after realizing that I got my ass kicked by a lot of riders! I'm not even sure I finished in the upper half of this field, and that's okay.  :)

Probably the most challenging trail/distance I've done - will confess I was not at Massachusetts. Ormstown (Quebec) is also pretty neat.

Speaking of...the nice folks that make up the Cayuga Trail Riders club want to do this again next year. I pleaded with them not to schedule on same day as Ormstown's Vint event so we can get those wonderful Canooks down for this event. AND then we can visit their's.  By the way - Gerry Richards (Jerry?) and his Zundapp were there representing Canada and he was FAST.  Pleasure to meet this gentleman and his wife.

skiracer

Bob, it's Gary Richards.....  Yes it was a fun weekend.  The weather was perfect, and the ground had enough moisture to keep the dust down.  My XC ran great all weekend, had a few minor issues, but it was driver related, not the bike.  Yes, the trails were very tight and technical; all trail riding no roads.  It was a lot of fun! The hosting club did an excellent job. This was an event for riders, not show boaters and trailer queens! I got to ride with some good friends, and saw many more. I hope they do it again next year.  And a shout out for Fred Hoess. He is a week away from leaving to attend this year's ISDE to try to get the record of 25 gold metals, and what is he doing?  Riding a vintage event....  got to love it!

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 XC
1979 KTM 175 GS
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Dale Sonnenschein

The boys at cayuga trail riders did an awesome job. They had great trails. Met some new friends and saw some old ones. The weather was great too. It's beautiful country up there with great views. It was a treat to see Fred and Drew ride. The trails were a mix of fun flowing stuff and some tight stuff too. Rode thru a barn too!

73 Jackpiner
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
78 husky cr250
82 husky wr430
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r