Oil pump?

Started by rob w, August 07, 2002, 11:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

This is something that has been baffling me, so I would like to present this question. Why in the world does a iron barrel Sachs engine have an oil pump? Thanks, Bob

OUCWBOY

Not sure if this correct, but, because Sachs motors were used in many different brands of motorcysles, the oil pump was used in an injections system!?!?!?!?! Come on guys, am I at least close?
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Larry Perkins

I never saw a iron barrel motor with an oil pump but the expert on this would be Doug Wilford.  He did a stint at the Sachs factory and saw alot of their many engines.  There were so many different types of Sachs engines that there were guys at Sachs that did not know all that they made.

penton117

Hi Guys,
I have a Sachs manual at home that shows the oil pump set-up. It was an oil injection system, which would allow you to run straight gas in the tank. I believe the pump ran off the left end of the crank, with an oil line going to a fitting on the left side of the cylinder, just in front of the carb snout. (if I recall all iron barrels have a small, circular flat area cast into them, which is where the oil line banjo fitting would bolt in.) The oil holding tank was mounted on the left side, below the seat. This was on SACHS motorcycles. I am not sure but I believe it was mostly the military models.

Regards,

Don

rob w

Hi Don and Donny, that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up. Bob

Edited by - rob w on 08/09/2002  12:05:24 AM