Wassell Restoration

Started by iyaoyas, May 07, 2013, 03:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iyaoyas

Wassell Tank Restoration...

The folks at Cycle Therapy no quoted the job due to a pending list of other projects however they recommended Metal Masters in Illinois who quoted me $1200...perhaps this is a reasonable price for the job???  Maybe so but it's a bit too spendy for my budget on this project.  

I'm thinking about taking Gordon's advice and do the job myself but it may not turn out as I planned and end up costing me more than $1200 for someone to repair my repairs[B)]...

Looks like I'll keep searching for other alternatives such as a 'good' used tank at a reasonable price or another reputable repair shop...

Any and all suggestions are welcome...Thanks-

t20sl

Check out item # 121110173231 on Ebay.  Tanks are from India but look very close to a Wassell.  Ted

desmond197

Cycle Therapy is usually about $450. Your tank is not too bad. I will ask around $1,200 is silly as it is not that hard of a job. The trick is to make some special tools.

Daniel P. McEntee

From talking to Mike Winter about how Elsinore tanks are restored, it seems that they cut the tunnel out of the tank, dolley the dents and such out from the inside, then reweld the tunnel back in. Just need access to a decent TIG welder. I'm a welder and fabricater by trade and can do this stuff for myself on a limited bases where I work, but never had the opportunity to try it. It's like the old redneck saying. "How hard can it be!" A lot depends on how complex the original tank construction is, and how careful you work as you go along. Haste really does make waste. I'll bet there is a You Tube video of aluminum tank repair, there seems to be a video of everything else under the sun! I think Mike told me that sometimes they take a slide hammer with a sheet metal screw on the business end, screw it into a hole in the dent, lightly pull the dent out, then just weld up the hole and polish off. TIG welder is needed here also. Youjust gott imagine how the dent got there, then try to reverse the process. With the tank tunnel out of the way, there is lots of room available. If I ever get to retire or at least semi retire, I gotta make arrangements for a TIG welder at home. Real handy on fixing up these old dirt bikes.
   Good luck and have fun,
   Dan McEntee

Gordon Brennan

Stephen,
I have sent you some contact information through the POG email service. If you have not received it, contact me at [email protected] and I will get it to you that way.
Gordon

iyaoyas

Thanks Guys-  

Ted - The Triumph tank looks really close...thanks, but I may keep mine after all and restore it as the odds of finding a good used Wassell or Tyran tank someone is willing to part with is probably slim to none.  

I'm working on a parts list and will start a new thread on the Wanted/For Sale forum.  Aside from the tank, I plan to do all the work myself, i.e. painting, engine rebuild, assembly etc.  

My next purchase/investment is in a sand blast cabinet.  I've been reviewing a couple options from Harbor Freight which seem adequate/cost effective for my intent.  We'll see...:)  

desmond197

You can find good Wassell tanks for $300-$500 about every 3 months on Ebay. Flat trackers and bobber guys have been buying them and driving the prices up but they do come up

iyaoyas

It seems as though my Wassell was stored in a wet climate for several years w/o any crankcase oil...:(  I'm wanting to restore the bike and am now considering a 152cc conversion kit.  To this end, I'll have to source the necessary engine component parts from many sources and fitting everything together properly so that I end up with a reliable engine is a concern.  Another option is to retain the std. 125cc configuration however I think my stock engine is compromised beyond reasonable/cost effective repair.

1. Taking the path of least resistance...can I simply use the bottom end, i.e. the complete crankcase assy. from a 125cc Six-Days (or other Sachs 125?) engine with a Wassell cylinder and head?  

2. Is the 6-days conrod the same length and mass as that of the Wassell?

3. Are the wrist pin bearings the same?

4. Assuming #2 is valid, would I compromise the balance factor if I mix-matched bottom & top end (i.e., Wassell piston, ring, wrist pin brng. assy. w/6-day crankshaft & flywheel)?

5. What is the std. and max. allowable bore dia's. of the Wassell cylinder?

Thanks again for everyone's time and help...!

Stephen Markley

desmond197

Motor parts are the same for the Wassel and the Penton. Any good bottom end will work.

firstturn

iyaoyas,
Did you ever get your tank repaired?  If you did who did you have do it.  Thanks.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mike OReilly

The reference to a Canadian source for tank repair was for Ross Thompson in Ailsa Craig, Ontario (near London, Ontario).
I have not used him, but have heard good things about what he does.
If you google the name you will get his site.
Mike

iyaoyas

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the lead...  I've since had my tank repaired by Ewan Wilcox.  He's from California and does amazing work as my tank looks better than new!

I'm still working on this project and saw your Wassell listing.  Using your bike and a few bits & pieces from Al B., I should be able to complete one bike.

VICTOR MONZ

I have a cylinder and the high compression head your looking for, if interested, e-mail me.

victor monz  [email protected]

iyaoyas

Thanks Victor however I've decided to sell my Wassell project.