Tracking Steel Tanker Numbers?

Started by Daniel Desranleau, November 26, 2015, 01:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Desranleau

I'm aware of the Steel Tank Project but was wondering if anyone has every tried to collect or track the different bikes that come up for sale or display, etc. I'm sure most end up getting recorded for the project but it seems there are a lot of bikes being missed and knowing they are out there would give a bigger and better picture of the past and future. Maybe the list of known bikes could be posted and when we see or hear about another steel tanker or frame we could check the list and post new entries to it.

just saying!

Dale Fisher

Daniel,
Since the beginning of 2013 I've attempted to track and register a relatively smaller number (1000 or so) of the Wassell/Mudlark trials bikes that were produced.  Almost three years later a total of 39 frames have been recorded including the initial BSA Bantams.  About a third of this listing have come from information submitted on a questionnaire form and the balance has come from some pretty extensive internet photo searches and watching for international ebay postings.  
A web based membership and information database would be great to have <if> the financial resources were available.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
'98 HP-14 Hi-Point
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

PINKIE

HI, I SOLD MUDLARK TO A THOMAS PATRICK KENNEDY MANY YEARS AGO IS THIS ANY HELP?
Quotequote:Originally posted by Dale Fisher

Daniel,
Since the beginning of 2013 I've attempted to track and register a relatively smaller number (1000 or so) of the Wassell/Mudlark trials bikes that were produced.  Almost three years later a total of 39 frames have been recorded including the initial BSA Bantams.  About a third of this listing have come from information submitted on a questionnaire form and the balance has come from some pretty extensive internet photo searches and watching for international ebay postings.  
A web based membership and information database would be great to have <if> the financial resources were available.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
'98 HP-14 Hi-Point
And some silly other bikes...

firstturn

Pinkie I have four Mudlarks.  If you have the frame number I will check the frame numbers for you.  Where did Kenndy live?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

PINKIE

HI, NO FRAME NUMBER HE HAD TWO ADDRESSES,4123 HEATHCOTE ROAD DEEPHAVEN,MN.USA 55391 612-476-4005 .   Speir Cohage Sky Road Clifden Co. Galway Ireland 095-21869
Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

Pinkie I have four Mudlarks.  If you have the frame number I will check the frame numbers for you.  Where did Kenndy live?

Ron Carbaugh

Daniel Desranleau

Dale,
I was thinking if the known list of steel tankers were listed in serial order, it would only take a minute to check if it was a known bike, Vxxxx.  Something quick and easy; then when someone found a new number they could just post it to the thread. I can only guess at how many have ever been listed for the Steel Tank Project but a W.A.G on my part would throw out a number of 600 give or take. In the 3 plus years they were made the total must be around 6000. I just wanted to ask the question if this might help the overall picture and data base about what was still out there for bikes and how it might help identify the differences the Steel Tank Project was seeking. As an example V3300 just showed up at a dealer in N.H. I wonder how long it has been since this bike has seen daylight?
Thanks for the response.
Dan.

firstturn

Pinkie none of mine came from Minnesota, or I should say I didn't buy them from Minnesota.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh