New Photo

Started by Kip Kern, December 21, 2015, 08:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip Kern

Cool photo of Jack and Jeff on the "68."  That answers the color of the number plate question for steel tankers!  Merry Christmas to all!

johnborn

Dad took me across that frozen pond on his honda 90 probably around 68or69...

pentons4ever

How do we see that photo.if not what is the color

johnborn

Click home,above right.

Paul Danik

When I first saw the homepage photo is sure took me back to that time, what a great picture.

I called Jack and told him about the picture and he brought it up on his screen, below are some of the comments we shared.

The building to the right with the row of what looks like little windows is the back of the Penton Farm Market.

The little corner of a roof to the right is the pole building that is just behind the old Penton Brothers Machine Shop.

Both machines have some of the early modifications, including the use of a Volkswagen stinger added to the exhaust to tame the ring-a-ding-ding, and the front fenders have been changed to what possibly are Husky fenders.

The machines both have the flip up gas cap which was not on the very early machines, the early ones had screw on caps. Jack looks to be on a Berkshire which was not available in the beginning. As a side note, Al Born always told about telling John he wanted a 100cc machine but John said they would come along a little later. When the 100 did come along Al said the Penton boys retrofitted his machine for him, I think Tom was in on that if I remember right from what AL said.

It looks like Jeff's machine has the early covered shocks, while Jack's machine does not.

The photo was almost for sure taken in the winter of 1968 - 1969, about 9 - 10 months after the delivery of the first 10 machines on March 7, 1968.

Both machines have the later style of the early airbox, the shorter version.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words and this one sure is..:)

Paul  

PS  As for the number plate colors, I recently picked up V-0113 from it's original owner and I asked him about the white number plate on the side of it, he said that it is the original number plate as that is what was on both sides when new.

Mick Milakovic

Looks like paint on the ice in front of the bikes and a possible hockey goal behind the bikes?  Nothing to do with the bikes, but at that age I'll bet the boys played hockey too!

Mick
Mick

Paul Danik

Good eye Mick, Jack wondered if that was his blood in front of the bike from the hockey game:), and BJ was looking for hoof prints in the snow as she was quite a horse riding Gal....

Paul

Richard Colahan

Where's Jeff's helmet?
Come to think of it...not sure most of us ALWAYS wore helmets back then when we were young and indestructible...

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Dale Fisher

From Paul Danik.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
'98 HP-14 Hi-Point
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Paul Danik

Thanks for posting the picture Dale, sometime I just may learn how to do that...

The Steel Tanker pictured is V 0113 and that white number plate is original, the original owner who is pictured with the bike confirmed that fact when I asked him about it.

Paul

slvrbrdfxr

Looks like the tail light is something out of the ordinary as well.
Dave McC

slvrbrdfxr

Something else I noticed after my earlier post is that it appears both bikes have some sort of modified heat shield on the exhaust pipe.
Dave McC

Richard Colahan

Notice the trophy??
It's from the Jack Pine...I'll assume won on that very Penton!

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA