Hello from Elkton ,md - 74 jackpiner 175

Started by russbrumit, February 03, 2016, 04:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russbrumit

Hello , I've had this 74 jackpiner 175 for a few years now and am just getting around to trying to get it running. The guy I got it from said he thinks it'll need a rebuild. I'll know soon enough. Bike is all there and in good cond

Patton

Russ, good luck. I'll follow your progress with my rebuild of a '72 Jackpiner.

Frame and other parts are out for powdercoating. Nuts and bolts out for plating.

RP

Larry Perkins

Your bike is NOT a 1974 because it has the pipe heat shield, black motor, Radelli steel rims, and 32mm forks. I can not id whether it is a 1972 or 1973 but probably a 1972. 1974 would have fiberglass numberplate molded to cover pipe, silver motor, alloy rims, and 35mm forks.

Larry P

Rocket

If the pipe heat shield is original, it is a 73.

Keith Meatyard

72's and 73's are very similar.  The 72's had Amal carbs, and the 73's had the Bing as on your bike.  Also the chain guard and guide visible in the picture is that of a 73.  The 73's were also hi-breather frames.  Fenders on the 72's were aluminum, and the 73's had white plastic.  Now, some of these characteristics could overlap between years as well.  I have a documented Feb 73 that has aluminum fenders, the early chain guard, but has the Bing carb.  I also have an April 73 that is the hi-breather frame.  If the serial no has a 2 after the 7-, then its a 72 model, and a 3 after the 7-, then its a 73.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

russbrumit

Thanks guys . I checked and is a 73 . I didn't see the replys or I would have responded quicker.

russbrumit

Strange . The serial # is 7-30565868 but the title says its a 74 model ? What do you think ?

Larry Perkins

Back then many dealers with left over bikes were able to title them as the next year5 model when they sold.  That is most likely what happened.  It was a left over 73.  But it is definitely a 73.

Larry P