Motoplat ignition repairs - thoughts / advice?

Started by penton117, August 14, 2002, 12:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penton117

Hi fellow Poggers,

I would like to hear the thoughts from the brain-trust on repairing Motoplat ignitions. From what I have heard there is a diode that usually goes bad. I understand there is a company doing repairs on Motoplats, but how would they get the old diode out of the sealed plastic? Perhaps knowing exactly where the diode is located would allow you to grind away enough platic to access it and then resolder in a new one. I was thinking that perhaps they melt away the old plastic, make repairs as needed then repot the whole thing. Since I have at least 6 old Motoplats laying around it would be great to get them working again. That might mean 6 more Pentons get running for fellow Poggers. Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,

DOn

Larry Perkins

Don,

Talk to Mark Annan on this.  He did some experimenting and quite a bit of research trying to work on the same idea.  I would be curious to hear if anyone has used one of the rebuilt ones that are being done now.  To the best of my knowledge Dane at Penton Imports does not think it is a workable in the long term idea and he knows as much about Motoplats as anyone.  My opinion is that there are two kinds of Motoplats-Ones that are bad and ones that are going to go bad.  I am a firm believer in the PVL ignition.  It just won't run lights but as long as the lights are on the bike is there a real need to run them.  Just my opinion.

Mark Annan if you read this and have Chicago Chip's 800 number or e-mail would you send it to me.  Thanks.

fzrr750

Hey, guys. Try out //www.vintagedirtbike.com
They rebuild Motoplats. $175.00 with a six month warranty also. Quick turnaround also!!
One thing I learned about these Motoplats..if you leave them sit and don't use them they go bad. Don't let that bike sit too long people. My 79 Ktm 250MX worked fine before I let it sit for about a year(just kicked it over once in awhile). When I went to play one day...no spark. Had to buy another Motorplat. Almost $260.00. Whew!!! I wish I knew they could be rebuilt!! I bought 4 new ones and one used one for several of my dirt bikes and roadracers over the last nine years. The used one still works now and one of the new ones does not. I am sending it to Vintage Dirt bike at the end of the summer when I am done with my new motor. I hope this helps out a little bit guys.

Seeeeyaaaa.      Ed T.

71 Suzuki TM400,72 Suzuki TS400 Desert racer,76 Suzuki RM250,74 Yamaha MX360,79 KTM 250MX, 87 Yamaha FZRR750 X-endurance racer #112.
71 Suzuki TM400,76 Suzuki RM250,74 Yamaha MX360,79 KTM 250MX,89 KTM 250EXC, 87 Yamaha FZRR750 X-endurance racer #112.