Michelin Tires/ 74 Jackpiner

Started by Scott Summey, July 03, 2016, 12:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Summey

Looking into putting a set of Michelins on my 74 Jackpiner and wonder if anyone else has gone this route and sizing used. Other suggestions for sandy, palmetto rooted riding welcomed. Thanks.

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

KJDonovan

Scott,

Not a Michelin but, I run a Pirelli 110/100-18 MT-16 on the back of my 72 Piner, great all around tire and not interference issues with the chain guard.  Also has that vintage knob design similar to the original Metzeler's they came with.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Scott Summey

Thanks Kevin for the reply. I have seen the posts on the Pirelli's and wonder if anyone is using anything else on their Jackpiner's. Right now it has a undersized Chen Shin tire on the rear with a very low profile and I also have a second project Piner with a Metzler 4.00 x18 that looks more appropriate though dry rot has taken it's toll. Thanks.

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

brian kirby

The 110/100-18 Pirelli MT16 is the perfect size tire, I have one on my Jackpiner. There are no modern tires like Michelins that are small enough for a 175 or 125 vintage bike, they are all far too big. Not only is the MT16 the right size, it looks correct, and to top it all off its better than 99% of the "cool" tread pattern modern tires, which is why I use the front on everything, even my modern bikes.

Brian
Brian

wfopete

Scott I currently have Michelin S12's mounted front (90/90 21) and rear (120/90 18) on my '73 'Piner.  They work fine but yes, the rear is probably overkill, although it provided nice rim protection. I removed my chain guard for clearance. My vintage theory is that if the ride gets to be a mud feast the bigger the footprint the better for getting through the muck. I also have ran a Michelin trials tire on the rear here in Arkansas and it provided crazy traction in the rocks.

All that said I would probably be more than happy and likely will run a MT16 on the rear in the future.  I run MT16s on most of my other bikes modern and vintage.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Scott Summey

Brian/Pete, thanks for the reply. Reading back thru years of posts, current and general consensus is mt16's and that is probably the direction that I'll go. I've run Michelin and Dunlops successfully on my 09 yz125 and they have done well in the Florida conditions.

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

brian kirby

I'm from Florida, its very good in sand. It is good everywhere really, although its best conditions are hard pack with wet greasy slime on the top, or really rocky wet conditions. There is no tire on the market that is as good in as many different conditions. And, the best part is, it LOOKS like it belongs on a vintage bike.

Brian
Brian

wfopete

Wears well too.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

brian kirby

Yes, it wears like iron. The only bikes I dont have MT16s on the back are my 125/100s (the 110/100 is too big), my XR200R and Husky's with 17" rear wheels, and my Honda CR500, I have it on the front of everything.

Brian
Brian

Patton

Brian, others, thanks for the recommendation. Ordered MT-16 today at Cycle Gear. Will have my 175 Jackpiner restoration complete by end of July?

Brian, if your ever in the Cumming Ga area, stop by. 770-886-2500

Thanks, RP