Early 72 Six Day Questions

Started by KJDonovan, December 02, 2016, 09:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

I'm in the process of cobbling together a rider out of a couple of 72 125's I picked up last month and came across a couple of odd items I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on.   The frame I am using has August 71 build date (108 50687) and while it was cleaning it up for repair I noticed the frame gussets where the "hockey stick" engine stay brackets attach are different than other 72 frames I have around here.  Basically missing the portion of the gusset with hole for the engine stay bracket to bolt to.  Neither side looks like it was cut so I would guess it came from the factory like this.

The other oddball item was the swingarm bolt, it has a big hex head, not the allen head.  At first, I thought it was just something someone used as a hack, but it fits fine.  It threads all the way through the frame and had a nut on the right side.  Anyone seen either of these before?  

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

gooddirt

The frame is right for that year. I have never seen that
 swinger in any of my early year CMF bikes or later .

KJDonovan

Thanks Larry.  I guess that swingarm bolt is just another oddity, but it works fine so it will get used.

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

brian kirby

Is there a bushing in that side of the swing arm? It looks like they put a shoulder on there to replace the inner collar of the bushing or maybe for a needle bearing?

Brian
Brian

SouthRider

I think Brian is onto something - looks like something a machine shop made up to repair a worn out swingarm.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

firstturn

I have owned a Swingarm pivot bolt like this and I may still have it or I may have sold it to Victor Montz?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Larry Perkins

I have seen several of these swingarm bolts and they were always on VERY early 72s like this one.

Larry P

KJDonovan

Brian,

There are regular (steel and rubber) bushings in the swingarm, the shoulder of the bolt is about the same width as the allen head portion of a regular swingarm bolt, just has the hex head as well.

Ron/Larry, Thanks for the information, this is the first one of these I have seen.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint