PVL

Started by tim bowers, August 16, 2002, 09:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim bowers

Just bought a PVL ignition system for my 400.
I am confused on the timing setting and how to do it. It says 2.2mm-2.4mm BTDC. Do I find TDC then put the rotor timing mark on TDC  and rotate it back 2.2mm-2.4mm and then line up the stator plate marks with the rotor marks or do I find TDC, put the rotor
on at 2.2mm-2.4mm ,leaving the crank at TDC
and then tighten down the nut. Then line up the stator? It seems there is not enough
slot room in one of the slots to get it where it needs to be. Does anyone have more
complete and clear way to do this. Where should the stator be positioned etc....

tlanders

Tim, did you buy a weight to go with it?

Doug Wilford

Tim, Mount your stator in any position that fits. know which way the motor turns when it is running.  On the stator there are two arrows one for each direction the motor turns. Use the mark for the correct rotation.   Move the piston back from top dead center to your BTDC recommendation, because there is no key used you install the rotor lining up the little marks.  Then tighten the rotor with out turning the crank or rotor, when it is tight check to make sure the timing has stayed correct.

tim bowers

No I did not but the weight yet. I used to ride a 73/74 TM 400 without one so I thought
I would try it first. Thanks Teddy and Doug
I hope to have her running this weekend.
I just got back from the U.P. oooops
that's upper Michigan to all those not living here. Thanks again!!!!!