New Penton Owner - 72 Six Day -- couple of Qs

Started by sccasey, August 27, 2016, 08:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sccasey

Greetings from a newbie.  Just picked up my "first" Penton, a 72 Six Day -- just like the bike my uncle owned and the first motorcycle I ever rode (back in 1973), before getting my own 75 CR125 and racing MX.  Bike is a little rough (looks better in pic), but pretty complete (if a little non-stock: front rim is DID aluminum, right sidecover is from 74+, rear shocks are Mulholland, etc.). A little gas/oil and it started no problem. Current plan is to get running as is, eventually paint frame, recover seat, install Petty front and rear lights (thanks Al B for the tip!) and register for road, but leave tank, sidecovers as is.  Maybe run a vintage hare scramble or two.  (Great series here in New England.)

https://goo.gl/photos/HybNiAD68vZTigMK9  (haven't quite figured out how to embed a photo)

Couple of Qs - Can I hook up lights to existing wiring or should I just run a small 12v battery in a total-loss system? Anyone ever run Kenda K270 dual sports on a Penton? Better road ride than full knobbies? Feels like sacrilege but will have to spend a fair amount of time on roads around here (North of Boston, MA) to jump on and off trails in the woods. I know, I know, so did the ISDT boys back in the day -- which may be my answer.

Btw, got one fork leg straightened (and then realized I needed to do the other after putting it all back together!) at a local machine shop run by a couple of brothers that used to be a Penton dealer (Competition Cycles in Wilmington, MA -- also sold Montesa, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Norton, Dalesman). Told me John Penton slept at their Mom's house when he was travelling to dealers training them on how to repair bikes!

Steve Casey
Running: '73 Yamaha RD350, '73 Yamaha DT250, '76 Moto Guzzi 850 T3, '75 Honda CB200T
Projects: '76 Triumph Bonneville, '76 Suzuki GT550, '73 Kawasaki F11 250, 68? Bultaco TSS Model 6 200 replica

Kip Kern

Steve
Yes you can run the PP lights from the existing Bosch ignition, have done it many times myself with no worry (yellow wire).  Tires are your choice but don't run too wide to drag chain guard.  I always go 3:50 x 18" rear on mine as originally installed.  Have fun and enjoy!

KJDonovan

Steve,

Welcome to the group.  I ran the Kenda K270 tires on my Jack Piner for a long time, great on and off road tire.  When my rear wore out I replaced it with Pirelli MT-16, but only because I was using the bike for an event.   The Kenda's are good and affordable choice.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
74ish Mint 400
74 Hare Scrambler
71 Suzuki TS125
72 Montesa Cota 123
83 Husqvarna WR430
Kevin J. Donovan