74.5 Jackpiner parts

Started by Scott Summey, August 06, 2016, 07:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Summey

On the fence on what i'm going to do with this project but starting to gather parts for a 74.5 Jackpiner. Looking for a air box cover for the lay down shock position  a kickstand and an air filter screen/cage to start with. Thanks

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

Scott Summey

A few pics of the Jackpiner 74.5 and the 74 projects...

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

Rain Man

Preston Petty sells nice brand new front and rear fenders.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Scott Summey

Raymond thanks for the info, I did pick up a couple sets of Petty fenders from Strictly Hodaka for both bikes. Also did a little fluff and paint work on the 74 with a host of new parts from Al and a rebuilt and updated Bing carb. Bike starts and runs well. Still not sure about the 74.5 on if I'll jump in on a restore or not. Bike is running on a original bore 74 motor (shown with 73 motor) with a new Mikuni carb from Sudco and a NOS piston set. Also have a separate 73 engine that I acquired in the deal that has to low compression to run although it wants to run as I had it sputtering a few times while mounted in the 74.5.

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

Toolsurfer

Looks like you have a nice starting point for sure. Been trying to catch one of these 175 myself for a while . I guess you found this one near you? Good luck looks good.

skiracer

Well, if you decide you want to sell the 74.5, let me know.....

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Scott Summey

Thanks for the encouragement. Made the decision yesterday to strip it down and get it into riding condition. Going to basically clean up with fresh paint and use the existing parts as i can and replace tires and other items as ness. Will probably leave the tank and one side panel unpainted as they have a nice patina. Still looking for a air box panel original paint if possible, filter cage and kickstand. I do have a set of 13.5" Fox air shocks on the bike that will need a rebuild, wonder if anyone has had experience with this or knows a shop or re-builder that may be able to do this service. Thanks again.

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

Rocket

http://evolutionsuspensionproducts.com/
This guy, Thor Lawson can rebuild your fox shocks.
RCG

Scott Summey

Thanks, I'll give him a shout.

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

Rick Bennett

I had three sets redone by Thor, all leaked after just a few races and it took a year to get the last set returned to me.
Rick Bennett

DKWRACER

Hello, I have kickstand (straight profile with stud for the spring) measures 14 5/8'', have an oval filter cage too, for fiberglass airbox.
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Tim Spires

Hi all.  

Very nice project!!

I have like the exact same project.  Picked up a 74.5 from Chuck Purinton, original owner and Penton Dealer.  He uncrated the bike and I am going to finish restoring it.

Chuck owns Renaissance Restoration and is an expert on restoring the old fiberglass tanks.  Currently he is doing two of my OSSA Explorer tanks and the this Penton tank.

Question for all is on the color.  I searched the archives here but could not find any information of color code, or info on this blue.

Does anyone know or can point me to color info.  Currently have the tank, side covers and air box with primer on them  Now we are trying to nail down both the Blue and the Yellow OEM colors.

Attached is a pic of my project.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/102907074419521227953/album/AF1QipPvZhx6nFmp8OemmkpoTIp10q_FWdstbZ80MBf0

Scott Summey

Rick, thank you for sharing your experience on Fox shox repair. I'll do a little more digging before I send these out and may just end up picking up another pair of shocks for the project.

Tim, I just had a friend repair one of my tanks and I painted it and other items with Krylon "Ocean Blue". Research on the forum that it was the closest preferred color. Side by side my two tanks are starkly different in color, but due to the aging original Gel coat side by side with fresh modern spray paint there will always be differences. I think that unless your trying to get as close to period correct (professionally painted and color matched) that you should pick a blue that works for you. Photo's to follow.

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

Scott Summey

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

Tim Spires

If possible I would prefer to go original, put in this case I understand the difficultly.  I like the color you ended up with. It must really pop with the yellow side number plates.  

As I under it my left side cover is original so can start with that color.

Thanks for the info.