no spark

Started by Nicholas Guy, September 09, 2016, 09:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicholas Guy

i have an early 70s 125cc 6b that appears to be in great shape however it did quit getting spark.
i am pretty sure its the stator which is motoplat external flywheel w/ diode [i think]
i am a novice mechanic at best and have acquired what little knowledge i do have from various online sights

-can this stator be re furbished and if so would this be the most practical thing to do?
[a] by whom?
how much $?

-or would it be more practical to replace it with a new one?
[a]by whom?
how much$?

whatever the case ends up to be , when replacing/installing the new one i understand that tiny hole located in both stator and flywheel need to be lined up and ive read that the piston needs to be in certain position indicatable by use of a particuliar dial. -99.9% chance that i dont own the said dial. i dont wanna get the cart too far in front of the horse but any advice on this topic in general would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU !

Larry Perkins

Well, the first thing you will hear is that there are 2 kinds of Motoplats, redwire and blackwire.  I agree there are 2 kinds, bad ones and ones that will be bad.  Back in "The Day" I actually pulled new ones off the shelf for replacement that were bad. There are people that can fix them and one of the best is Vance up in Michigan and it is cheaper.  

However, my opinion is do yourself a favor and toss it for a modern replacement.  If you want to run lights and get similar flywheel effect put on a Powerdynamo and if you want quicker MX type rev put on a PVL. Both will start easier, have better low rev performance and are virtually forever ignitions.  That is my $1.25 worth of advice.

Larry P