oil

Started by michaelnewowner, August 26, 2002, 08:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelnewowner

what type of oil do i need for the gears and where do i put it in?i own a penton but do not know much about mechanics.can you help me?

michael schellenberg
anonamous

Tom Gougeon

There's two filler caps on the top of the gearbox, one on either side. Take your pick. My manual says "High Point Gear Lube" which I take to mean 70-90 wt gear lube. It also suggests adding ATF to "faciltate" clutch release. I've used ATF for years, but then I don't race, only trail ride. It does have a tendency to ooze out around the kick starter and gear shift. Stated capacity is 1.5 quarts for the "old style" case and 1.4 for the "new style". I stand the bike vertically and fill until it drips out of the check plug, a hex bolt located just under the kick starter lever, then add a wee bit more. WHAT EVER YOU DO: DON'T LOOSEN THE ODD SHAPED PLUG ON THE BOTTOM REAR OF THE CRANK CASE !!!! This is NOT a drain plug! It's the stopper for the kick starter spring. If you attempt to remove it, you'll end up splitting the cases to fix it. The drain plug is located on the sprocket side of the engine, between the sprocket and the flywheel.