Jackpiner fuel

Started by David Ballard, October 30, 2016, 01:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Ballard

Any thoughts on using Av gas 100 octane,ethanol free as opposed to the 93 octane? The 100 is easier for me to get and a lot of people I know are using it for planes of course, as well as any small engine you could think of. Not sure if it would harm the old beast! Thanks, Dave

Oldebonz

See no harm except for the pocketbook.Ethanol should be avoided to protect fiberglass fuel tanks.In my manual,John P. recommended 95 octane,fully leaded gas.I have run unleaded in my 2 strokes for years with no apparent damage. I live close to a drag strip,there is a propane dealer that has lead free,ethanol free 93 octane Sunoco and 115 fully leaded,ethanol free Sunoco,I mix 3/4 93 and1/4 115 leaded for my road race Bultaco with HIGH compression and use it in my 100 Berkshire(different oils though and ratios),both work well on this gas.

Joe Murphy

I run 112 with maxima 727  three seasons on the motor, piston and rings are fine. motor would not pull my fat butt on 93 octane. 112 is giving me full rpm in sixth gear.... gas tanks are happy with NO alcohol.

Daniel P. McEntee

There is a reason some say to MOT use aviation fuel, but I forget the specific reasons. It is blended for it's specific purpose in airplane engines, and while not immediately harmful in motorcycle engines, it doesn't do what you think it does simply because it's high in octane. Avoid alcohol at all costs! If you are just recreational riding, even regular grade lead free gas will make the bike start easier, and run better that pump gas with alky in it, and that doesn't take into consideration what the alky does to petcock seals and fiberglass tanks. Pump gas goes bad sooner also and varnishes easier. Regular gas with no alcohol is difficult to find but there are websites that will help you find them. It's high time that they get the alcohol out of fuel all together! What a waste of time, money, water, and good corn!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

454MRW

there has been a lot of discussion about Aviation gas on Mark's Swapmeet mostly due to recommendations of not using aviation gas due to the fact that it is formulated for high-altitude, however airplanes have to take off and require a lot of power during takeoff so they must work well at all altitudes. With that said marine gas which is leaded and ethanol free can be purchased in higher octane formulations which could be a viable alternative depending on your location. Race gas, Aviation gas, and marine gas will last up to 24 months if stored in a metal can in a cool dry environment, compared to pump gas which will not last very long in any storage container. Exposure to sunlight is the worst scenario. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1978-1979 MX-6 175 & 250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's & 79 PE250 Suzuki & 2012 DR650
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

wfopete

FWIW; How much often do use ride and how much fuel do you use, say in a month? I would suggest you consider simply getting MC race fuel from a vendor like VP. You can get fuel specifically blended for your needs, it stays stable for a long time and is of consistent high quality.

I wouldn't bother with AVGAS for reasons already given.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

brian kirby

If you mix some non-ethanol pump gas with the AVgas the problems with the AVgas being formulated for high altitude becomes a non issue because the pump gas compensates for them. A mix of pump/AVgas works very well.

Brian
Brian

Dennis Jones

I've been using av gas (LL100) for ten years in everything 2 stroke I own, bikes, chain saws, weed eaters, leaf blowers, ect. And I pretty much live at sea level here in MO (600'). I can leave fuel in my leaf blower from one fall to the next fall and it will start right up.

Your mileage may vary [8D]

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones