argh!im frustrated my penton still wont run

Started by michaelnewowner, August 28, 2002, 11:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelnewowner

i put in a quart of gear lube in my penton and it still wont start!what do i do to get this thing running?any ideas?

michael schellenberg
anonamous

tmc3c

michael, Are you getting spark? Could be your electronic ignition, Gas,air,spark=run

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

imported_n/a

Michael, if you haven't already done so, purchase a repair manual from Larry Perkins or Al Buehner.  My 125 Penton/Sachs manual, at Pages 26 and 27, has a "Fault Tracing" grid which details all the steps you need to follow and in what order to follow them to track down problems.  The manuals are worth their weight in gold when it comes to reconditioning and maintaining our old bikes.  

I was working on my '72 125 in my garage yesterday, when my 12-year-old daughter came out to watch.  Now, I've put in about a million hours of time cleaning, bending, sanding, painting, polishing, replacing and everything else you have to do to put a piece of junk back together.  I'm almost done with it.  My daughter uttered those five dreaded words:  "What if it doesn't run?"  The realization of this fact completely burst my mental picture of first-kick starting and a purring engine.  All I could utter back was, "It better run!"

Follow the fault tracing and narrow down your problem.  Good Luck.

Glenn

john durrill

michael, Glen
 put a new plug in the coil lead. Lay it on the head where you can see it well and kick the motor over.. you should see a nice blue white spark. make sure its timed right.
 have the carb clean and float level right with idle mixture screw set at 1 to 1 and 1/2 turns from bottom, out. Make sure the slide hits bottom in the carb when you release the throttle.
 Put the new plug in. if its a Bing tickle it till fuel flows out onto the engine cases.
 give it a good kick ( some times two ) while slightly cracking the throttle and it will start.
 thats given the motor and seals are in good shape and the jets in the carb are close .
 John & Peter