Lower crank pressure question...

Started by skiracer, February 14, 2017, 05:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldebonz

No shame whatsoever! We have all done similar or worse brain farts!! It's just nice to figure out the problem and understand why!

Richard Colahan

Hundreds of views on this topic...my guess is more then one of us will make a mental...or written...note to ourselves to double-check direction   of seal installations...just to be sure! [8D]

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Larry Perkins

I have always gotten seals in the right way but I once holeshotted a National and ran the bike out of gas shortly after the first corner because I forgot to turn the gas on.  None of us are immune from brain farts.

Larry P

t20sl

Along this same topic but on a Puch does anyone have opinion on seal direction?  Puchs are DIFFERENT from most 2 strokes.  The crank bearings are not lubed by 2 stroke mix.  Both crankshaft seals are directly against the flywheels and then the bearings.   Unfortunately shop manual says to place seal lips one way and parts says the other.  Have seen them both ways.  Ideas?

Oldebonz

Get a hold of Matt at Motor West in Milwaukee.He is THE Puch guru.

Richard Colahan

Most older Huskys have the clutch side seal inboard of the lh main bearing...that bearing is lubed by the clutch/trans fluid...so that's not unusual. On the mag side the rh bearing is inboard from the seal...lubed by the pre-mix "mist".
However, on the PUCH, how would the magneto (dry) side bearing with an inboard seal get any lubrication?
Just wondering...[?]

Quotequote:Originally posted by t20sl

Along this same topic but on a Puch does anyone have opinion on seal direction?  Puchs are DIFFERENT from most 2 strokes.  The crank bearings are not lubed by 2 stroke mix.  Both crankshaft seals are directly against the flywheels and then the bearings.   Unfortunately shop manual says to place seal lips one way and parts says the other.  Have seen them both ways.  Ideas?

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

t20sl

Puch has a slot with a slinger that lubes mag side with tranny oil.  I spoke with Matt some time ago and he didn't remember.  I have several Puchs and haven't had mine apart in years so can't remember either.

skiracer

thanks!

Quotequote:Originally posted by Larry Perkins

I have always gotten seals in the right way but I once holeshotted a National and ran the bike out of gas shortly after the first corner because I forgot to turn the gas on.  None of us are immune from brain farts.

Larry P

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa