Need to Sell

Started by ricky racer, April 26, 2017, 08:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricky racer

I am at a point in my life where I need to a toy or two. I've been out of the vintage bike scene for a while so I am just checking in to see what you all would consider what is a fair price for my '76 250 MC5. I really love this bike but I think it's time to let it go. The bike has a fresh top end with 1 ride on it (although it's been a few years since it's been run). Of course I'll have it running and driving again before listing it. The Fox Shocks go with it too. Any idea on pricing would be appreciated before I put it on Ebay.
Thank you,
Rick

Rick Young

wfopete

Nice bike and those Fox shocks are a big plus.  Minimum $2500 and depending on the condition of the rest of the bike maybe $3500.  I think you could get close to a grand for the shocks alone.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Larry Perkins

Unfortunately the Fox Shox are worth more seperate off the bike than they add to the value of the bike.  Love that bike.  It tugs at my heart!  In 77 racing as a Privateer Pro I rode a 76 MC5 with Fox Shox just like your bike.  Will watch for it on eBay.  Best of luck on your sale.

Larry P

ricky racer

The back story on why I need to see my MC5 is 1 week ago last Tuesday I was involved in a motorcycle/deer crash which totaled my BMW but fortunately I suffered no broken bones nor internal injuries. I was however pretty beat up. Anyway, I'm looking at replacing my BMW and don't want to drain my bank account (got to keep the wife happy) so I need to generate some capital. Right now I'm not in any shape to start working on the Penton but hope to be soon.

The Penton was originally owned by one of my best friends. Back in 1976 I was really into motocross and purchased a new Maico AW250 while my friend purchased the Penton. My friend was not into racing as much as I was and only raced the bike a couple of times. We also did some trail riding but I'll bet his Penton has less than 50 hours on it total. I did a little AHRMA racing and was amazed what a good bike it was with tires currently available!  

If I had the original shocks for the Penton, I'd likely switch them and sell the the Fox Air shocks by themselves but I don't have a good set to install. I hate the idea of getting rid of the bike but I'm getting up there in age and don't see myself racing anymore. I still have a '74 250 Hare Scrambler project that I'd like to get going.

Maybe before I list it on Ebay, I'll post it here and give POG members first shot and getting a really good bike. Thanks for the advice guys. Sure wish I was in my twenties again....
Rick
Rick Young

Mike OReilly

Really interesting back story. Whatever happened to the AW250? They were very cool. Very sorry to hear about the bike/deer collision. That kind of thing is one of those deals where you can take all of the precautions, ride defensively and still life comes at you. Happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. Strong argument for A.G.A.T. All the gear all the time - on road or off.

In regard to value. Have a look at the auction results from Mecums Las Vegas back in January. There were no Pentons but there was a good cross-section of 70's era motocrossers which will give an idea of what these bring at auction. Keep in mind of course the (not inconsequential) costs of transport, commision, buyers premiums, etc.

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/las-vegas-motorcycle-2017/lots/

Mike

skiracer

Ricky, I sent you a PM about your bike....  Did you get it?  James

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

ricky racer

James, no I didn't. My profile was old and my email was out of date.
[email protected]
Thanks,
Rick

Rick Young

skiracer

Email sent.

Quotequote:Originally posted by ricky racer

James, no I didn't. My profile was old and my email was out of date.
[email protected]
Thanks,
Rick

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa