Clarke MC5 tank?

Started by rob w, August 27, 2002, 07:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Does anyone know about these Clarke plastic tanks? The smaller of the two available, I think it is called MC5. Will it fit any of my "74"s or "75"? Does it match up okay to the GP style seats? Better yet, who's got a 1.8 gal. mx tank, any color? Fat chance, right? Thanks Bob.

Mike OReilly

I have used the Clarke "MC5" tank on my '74 motocrosser for a few years now. Although it works, it is not an ideal fit. The bottom profile of the '72 thru '75 tank is quite different than the '76-'77 MC5, so the tank does not sit down on the frame rails particularly well. Some heat applied to the bottom of tank assists in it conforming to the frame.
In addition the Clarke comes with a threaded spigot, but I never did find a petcock that works with their spigot. I ended up using an entire Honda CR250 ('73/'74) spigot, which again, works but isn't entirely ideal.
You can wait and eventually one of the OEM MX tanks may come along (and it will be expensive!) or consider another option like the older '72 style enduro tank which is slimmer than the later enduro tank.
Good luck, hope this of some assistance.

DKWRACER

Rob, I believe the info in response is correct as to the fit, I presently have a few MC5's and the skinny MC5 tank is absolutely beautifull when married to the correct frame, I have a new Clarke tank that I am prepping for paint....Being newer plastics, it should hold paint much better than the 80's techno, I am prepping with 'Bulldog' plastic prepper and was quite astounded by the fumes emmissions exuding from the surface!!!! Serious gasses exploding while the compound chemically etched its way into the surface of the tank....A local guru also suggested putting one capfull of catalist (typo?)
into the primer can to help harden the conventional primer....I plan to lay down a wicked color scheme and will keep POG informed....Also in one of the very latest Cycle Worlds, the was a Super-Motard with a Clarke tank with a custom paint job!!!!Guess there was/is one more who has tanken the leap!!!! (pardon the pun)

Tom Brosius

Thomas Brosius