Sachs Gear Cutting update

Started by JP Morgen, June 26, 2017, 02:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP Morgen

For those of you with Sachs five and six speed engined bikes, you may or may not know of a modification I developed to greatly improve the shifting quality of these bikes. I have the openings for the selector key in each gear made wider to give the key more time to engage the next gear. I don't do the cutting because I don't have the specialized machinery required: wire feed EDM machine. I have offered this service for years to fellow vintage bike enthusiasts at my cost plus whatever shipping charges. The guy who does the cutting for me is in Silicon valley, so you can imagine the rate is probably not the lowest you could find in the US! $60/gear, and I have to have a minimum of 12 gears to cut. I am more than willing to share to details of the cutting dimensions with anyone who would like to have it. As an example of how well a Sachs transmission can shift with this modification, I raced my Penton 6B this year after not riding it for a whole year, raced my Honda Elsinore 125 the same day, did two practice sessions and two motos, in the expert class, and missed one shift, and I knew I was going to miss it because I didn't shut the throttle or use the clutch! I never use the clutch to shift, just a slight shutting of the throttle normally. In the past I have put out a similar notification, but most interested parties never send their gears, too expensive, I understand. This will be the last time I will be offering this service, so reply soon. Thanks JP Morgen

firstturn

JP what do you charge to do the engine and put it back together after the modification?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

JP Morgen

Ron, $300 if there are no unforeseen difficulties. I have gaskets, maybe all seals, maybe not crank though, but otherwise I have no Sachs engine parts.

VICTOR MONZ

JP.  Estimated cost to re-build Sachs 6"D"  motor/piston/ cylinder/ needs head / gaskets. Weld up chain damage, have ignition cover and current pvl, would like a fast motor.

Thx.  Victor Monz   [email protected]

Any 125 KTM motor for 1975 Six Day ?

JP Morgen

Victor, sorry, I am not presently doing any motor builds like that, too time consuming, too many of my own projects now at the front of the line. Thanks for asking.

VICTOR MONZ

Understood.

I have a nice Penton 400 from original owner, all original with nos mx tank, High Point front fender runs and rides good, new tires, size 10.5 High Point original boots....

Looking for a home, too much bike for me.

Victor

VICTOR MONZ

I would be interested in straight cut gears, if you finish bottom end.

I'll get top end completed.

Thanks.

JP Morgen

Sorry Victor, straight cuts long gone!