Penton 250 silencer

Started by clayman, October 21, 2017, 08:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

Anybody have any suggestions on a replacement silencer for the 1974 Penton 250? I have the stock exhaust with the small mx silencer, which is loud and needs repacked, and I would prefer an aftermarket replacement. Also any fork oil suggestions as per brand and weight? The manual recommends Hi-Point but there must be a contemporary oil better suited.

Thanks,

Clay

Steve Minor

There all all sorts of replacement silencers out there but I have had good luck with Super Trapp. You can add and subtract discs for performance and sound. As far as fork oil, it varies with riding style and use, but many people use automatic trans fluid. For proper amount, a good starting point is forks collapsed and spring out, fill to 6" from top.

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

Carl Hill

The silencer on my 74 was mangled up pretty bad so I cut it off and welded a short , straight tube to the exhaust and mounted a DG silencer. Works well, not too loud, and not too expensive. If your stock exhaust is not damaged too badly I would definitely try to keep it original though.

Cal Alexander

Belray fork oil always works well. If your front forks are a little soft I use 20 wt. instead of 10 wt. Also for silencers, the standard stinger is quite loud but looks great. Parabike has those on eBay right now for small bore and large bore machines as well as well some other Penton / KTM stock configurations.
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

skiracer

I use FMF Turbo Core II on my 250. It does a good job with the sound, and it is also a rated spark arrestor.

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Mike OReilly

Search under Ceriani forks. There is a post in reply from "Rocket" which lists weight and quantity for all of the Penton models.

Anyone who owns a Penton should print this and keep for reference.

The two quantities of oil referred to are for oil change only, vs. fork rebuild.

Mike