New POG Members

Started by Cal Alexander, November 24, 2017, 09:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cal Alexander

I wanted to give a shout out to two new POG members.

Stan Deveraux has owned Pentons since 1973 and still rides his 73 Six Day that he purchased new.

Dale Cutler recently restored a 1973 Six Day and is currently working on a Cast Iron cylinder Mudlark to add to his extensive collection of vintage MX bikes. Dale is owner of CPC Racing and is a well known Snowmobile tuner.

I've known both Stan and Dale for many years as we all worked at the local Penton Dealership where we developed our passion for Penton Motorcycles.

Please join me in welcoming Stan and Dale to the Penton Owners Group!

75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

skiracer

Great history!  Welcome guys!  Hope you enjoy the depth of knowledge that can for found here...

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Paul Danik

Greetings, and Welcome Aboard to Stan and Dale.

How interesting it is that Stan has his original Penton from "back in the day".

Any chance you gentleman would tell us about the Penton dealership that all of you worked at ? The shop must have been doing a bit of business if all three of you worked there.

Thanks Cal for recruiting these gentlemen. Hopefully the three of you will bring your Pentons and join in the 50th. Anniversary celebration of the Penton Sportcycle on March 10th where the dream all began, Amherst, Ohio.

Paul

Cal Alexander

The Penton Dealership we all worked at was Country Sports in Spanish Fork, Utah. Country Sports carried Penton, Husqvarna, BMW, Hodaka and Kawasaki motorcycles in addition to Polaris snowmobiles. Don Butler was the owner as well as an avid racer and expert mechanic. Don knew Carl Cranke and word had it that Carl would pull a few strings at Penton West anytime Don needed some of the hard to get bikes. Another friend Mike Harper and I were able to buy two of the very hard to get 1975 MC250's thanks to Don and Carl. Those MC250's were some of the first ones on the west coast and Mike and I still own those bikes today.

Stan and I worked at Country Sports part time while we were going to college. We would assemble, set up and test ride all of the bikes that were sold at the shop. Stan was as fast on his Penton as he was on his ski's as an accomplished rider and downhill skier.

Dale Cutler worked at Country Sports as a mechanic a couple of years after I had left the Dealership. Many years later my son Shane worked for Dale's shop Cutlers Performance Center as his Parts Manager. One day while Dale and I were talking bikes we discovered that we both loved Pentons and had worked at the same shop only a few years apart.

Hopefully Stan and Dale will post some of their memories to add to this thread. Life is a blur and its hard to believe that 50 years have passed since Mr Penton introduced his revolutionary Motorcycle to the world.

75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

firstturn

Thanks Cal for the introduction and the History.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

Cal,

That sure was a nice sized dealership from the sounds of it. It is interesting to think of the range of size of dealerships "back in the day". From single brand Mom and Pop operations to multi brand dealerships like Country Sports.

Doug Wilford used to tell of visiting many Penton dealerships and of how he would some times stay at the owners homes while on the road and then ride their local event on the weekend. Don't think you see much of that today.

Looking forward to hearing from Dale and Stan.

Paul

skiracer

My 76 MC5 came from a dealer that had about 200 square feet of showroom, and no bikes on display. He basically sold through word of mouth........  If you wanted a bike, he would order one for you. The dealership was a part time business.  He did auto body work full time.  It was 35 or 40 miles to the next Penton dealership...

Quotequote:Originally posted by Paul Danik

Cal,

That sure was a nice sized dealership from the sounds of it. It is interesting to think of the range of size of dealerships "back in the day". From single brand Mom and Pop operations to multi brand dealerships like Country Sports.

Doug Wilford used to tell of visiting many Penton dealerships and of how he would some times stay at the owners homes while on the road and then ride their local event on the weekend. Don't think you see much of that today.

Looking forward to hearing from Dale and Stan.

Paul

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa