Find the POGGER !

Started by Paul Danik, September 21, 2018, 05:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings,

While doing a bit of research I came across a photo that has a world famous POG member in it, and one of the nicest gentleman that you could ever want to meet........can you find him.....???  

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/hof/Exhibits

Paul

skiracer

nope....

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

3putt

Yep, I located that fellow !!   Nelson McCullough

ALB

Is this one of those "where's Waldo" puzzles. [:0]
If so, it should be "where's Bud"?

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Paul Danik

Greetings,

As Nelson, Al and surely many of you have figured out, the POGGER in the photo is Bud Green. Interestingly Bud is photographed taking a photo...and the subject of Bud's photo is Al Born's Penton V-003.

The photo was taken at the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum on the evening when the ISDT / ISDE display was officially opened, about a year or so ago. It was an incredible evening providing a great opportunity to mingle and bench race.

The contrast between Al's Penton and the other machines in the display is simply incredible. As most you, if not all of you know, machine prep was and surely still is a major part of the ISDT / ISDE game, and for me machine prep was part of the allure of the event.

So the question is, do the guys with the modern machines get as much satisfaction and enjoyment in prepping their machines as we did "back in the day" ? Those many evenings spent in the shop getting every detail "just right", and getting the spares and tools properly in place and all of the inner tube rubber bands cut and mounted.....were priceless.

Possibly a good comparison of the enjoyment/satisfaction in the preparation process between yesteryear and today is a simple comparison of how many inner tube rubber bands are on the prepped machines....:D No contest there...and if that isn't proof enough, lets compare tubes of silicon used in the preparation process...or spare cables mounted....I am starting to feel sorry for todays riders:)

http://www.pentonusa.org/GalleryServerPro/default.aspx?moid=4148&hr=1

Paul

skiracer

I have never seen a modern ISDE up close, but I think the prep is very different.... For one, there is only one cable; for the throttle.  The brake and clutch are not mechanical. The reliability of the new bikes far exceed the old ones, so, there is less to go wrong.  However, when they do, it usually is bigger problems, like electrical systems.  You also have a larger support team at each of the checks to assist the rider with parts and service.

One question I do have, how did the riders protect the ends of the spare cables from mud and water? Or, was that not an issue....

Quotequote:Originally posted by Paul Danik

Greetings,

As Nelson, Al and surely many of you have figured out, the POGGER in the photo is Bud Green. Interestingly Bud is photographed taking a photo...and the subject of Bud's photo is Al Born's Penton V-003.

The photo was taken at the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum on the evening when the ISDT / ISDE display was officially opened, about a year or so ago. It was an incredible evening providing a great opportunity to mingle and bench race.

The contrast between Al's Penton and the other machines in the display is simply incredible. As most you, if not all of you know, machine prep was and surely still is a major part of the ISDT / ISDE game, and for me machine prep was part of the allure of the event.

So the question is, do the guys with the modern machines get as much satisfaction and enjoyment in prepping their machines as we did "back in the day" ? Those many evenings spent in the shop getting every detail "just right", and getting the spares and tools properly in place and all of the inner tube rubber bands cut and mounted.....were priceless.

Possibly a good comparison of the enjoyment/satisfaction in the preparation process between yesteryear and today is a simple comparison of how many inner tube rubber bands are on the prepped machines....:D No contest there...and if that isn't proof enough, lets compare tubes of silicon used in the preparation process...or spare cables mounted....I am starting to feel sorry for todays riders:)

http://www.pentonusa.org/GalleryServerPro/default.aspx?moid=4148&hr=1

Paul

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Paul Danik

James,

I always used a piece of flexible fuel line / tubing to protect the ends of the spare cables. Some duct tape would be used to cover the open end of the tubing and a small piece of tape would be used to attach the tubing to the cable so that it wouldn't accidently slip off.

An important step was to hook up the spare cable and make sure it was the proper one and lube it so that if it was needed, it was the correct one and ready to go. If the cable was needed you would just remove the small piece of tape holding the tube in place and pull the protective cover off.

Paul

skiracer

Thanks Paul!

As a follow up to what modern riders do. I had the opportunity to talk to an A rider that rides the National Enduros and he told me all he carries are a set of spare brake pads. He prefers to run soft pads, so sometimes he runs out of pad before the end of the race. As far as the motors go, he rides a KTM 4 stroke, and stated that the latest motors can go 150 to 200 hours before you need to open them up, so, no motor parts are carried either.  

Quotequote:Originally posted by Paul Danik

James,

I always used a piece of flexible fuel line / tubing to protect the ends of the spare cables. Some duct tape would be used to cover the open end of the tubing and a small piece of tape would be used to attach the tubing to the cable so that it wouldn't accidently slip off.

An important step was to hook up the spare cable and make sure it was the proper one and lube it so that if it was needed, it was the correct one and ready to go. If the cable was needed you would just remove the small piece of tape holding the tube in place and pull the protective cover off.

Paul

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa