2018 Leroy Winters Memorial AHRMA C.C.

Started by rob w, November 08, 2018, 08:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

October 20&21 2018 - Geneseo, Illinois.
This race/ride is the continuation of what was once the 'Leroy Winters ISDT Reunion Ride'.
These days it's a 2 Day AHRMA Cross Country Race, held Enduro style with speed tests, and the final MX test for scoring. Yet still there are some Six Days Vets that show up and ride.

I was accompanied by Dan Pagel, my Grand Rapids, Michigan neighbor, and we were both riding 1975 Penton 250's set up with short travel suspension for the Sportsman classes.

First day the course was very tight and slippery, there were 3 or 4 different woods sections, (which we rode twice) with some paved roads connections, and corn field connections. The trails had several tricky short steep up-hills, and down-hills, a creek crossing, but many hidden slimy roots.
The water and a lot of mud, caused my carburetor slide to lock up, it was a 45 minute delay for me to clean my carburetor and get back on the trail. Also had one big crash, and 2 other times I hit trees head on, and fell. Dan was ahead of me all day, (we were suppose to be on the same minute) as I struggled along, both we both finished day 1, and riding those loops the second time proved a bit easier going.
I would estimate that 28 percent of the riders either did not finish the first day, or decide they had enough after the first day. So in my opinion, the riding was more difficult than it should have been.  

Saturday evening we were all invited (shuttle bus) to visit the Moto Armory motorcycle museum, followed by a nice dinner back at the trail head/ paddock.

Day 2 they added a new section we hadn't ridden on Saturday, and all of it was more enjoyable as the course dried out, and we got use to the trails. I never crashed on Sunday, but the day started with my tickler button on the carb missing. I taped off the exposed hole/tube, but again spent the day playing catch-up.

In the end both Dan Pagel and I, finished the whole event on our trusty Pentons, and walked away with medals.
For me, it was definitely one of those things you really don't appreciate, until it's over. I'm proud of both of us for enduring the ride.

wildman

Yeah, a great ride on a great 43 year old bike.So much mud!The moto armory was off the hook special.Pentons rule.Dan

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

Mick Milakovic

Rob, I too had problems with my Penton 250, but it was my fault as it was tuned in 70 degree weather with no humidity and that first day was 30 degrees and the bike wouldn't run right.  I wound up riding a bike I took to sell, a 1977 250PE Suzuki.  I hadn't prepped the bike and it had old vintage knobbies on it. It ran rough, the motor mount bolts worked loose, and the course was challenging, but I had a blast.  Also, when the event was over that first day I sold the bike!  All's well that ends well!

Mick
Mick

tooclose racing

Way to go, Rob  - I would love riding some trail or enjoying  with you sometime.  Did Gary Ellis show up at this "backyard" event for him?  (And hello Mick!)

Your two days @ Geneseo sounds like 3 of our XC rounds in the Northeast this year. We had some genuinely muddy, wet trail at several races and - I was humbled by the proverb that goes something like "when you slow down, you're not riding the trail, the trail is riding you".  Absolutely wiped after my Vint race, and then had to head out for PV. Dale made it look way to easy.

I'm ordering new chains (and maybe sprockets) for both of my racers, got fork seals to replace, hopefully all wheel bearings survived.  Need to reach out to Dave Kutsel to bring some Vee Rubber to York.  Some serious winter maintenance is in order this year!

Well - just thought I'd use your thread to say hi.  Nice Six Day on the For Sale page btw.