Penton machine rolls through Peoria

Started by Dave Withrow, September 29, 2002, 09:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Withrow

The AHRMA national motocross series made a stop in Peoria Saturday and the Penton crew was there to make an exceptionally strong showing.  It was neat to see such a large Penton turn out.  I wish I'd had a camera.  Here's the overall finish of Penton riders.
Kevin Brown-1st in Sportsman 500 Exp.
            2nd in Sportsman 250 Exp.
Mark Schmidt-2nd in Sportsman 500 Nov.
             2nd in 40+ Nov.
Ed Kubick- 3rd in 50+ Nov.
           2nd in Classic 125 Nov.
Greg Troyan-1st in Sportsman 250 Nov.
Dan Stein- 10th in Sportsman 250 Nov.
John Hardin-7th in Sportsman 250 Int.
Mike Lenz- 4th in Sportsman 500 Exp.
Dave Withrow-4th in Sportsman 500 Nov.
Teddy Landers-5th in 60+ Nov.
Curt Kennaly-4th in 60+ Int.
OUTSTANDING JOB EVERYONE!!

Mike Lenz

Dave you forgot yourself! Thanks for taking the time to collect this info. Man am I sore. First race in over a year, but it was fun!

tlanders

Thought I might defend/explain that 5th. I had planned on riding the 400 and try to beat the guy who beat me on a 370cc AJS Stormer at Grattan. I did beat him at mid Ohio but it was a hollow victory since his bike broke down. However, during practice the 400 vibrated the top of the Bing loose and it started to seize because it was too lean. The stripped out nut that Scott Brogan and I JB welded at midnight at Mid Ohio had lost it's threads and come loose. I decided to run the hare scrambler instead. It had given me two hole shots at Moberly a couple weeks ago and was ready to go. I did want to ride the 400 though because the AJS guy was there. The starter lets go of the rubber band and the trusty old hare scrambler beats everybody to the first corner again. About two corners later, the engine just loses all power. I pull in the clutch, keeping it alive, rev it up but can't seem to go without slipping the clutch, no power. Everyone roars by me. I limped around slipping the clutch 'til I'm about two corners away from the finish line to get in one lap and then it dies completely. I pushed it over the finish line to get recorded for one lap and then to the pits. No spark. So it's the 400 or nothing. Mike Lenz then helped me fix the carb on the 400. Without his battery operated Dremel, it would have taken a lot longer!!!! Thank you Mike!!!! Second moto, the 400 wins the hole shot and no one passes me for a first place. I was given a 9th place in the first moto because in AHRMA you have to go a least half the race without a penalty. There were 7 guys in my class, but they ADD 2 places to it if you don't go at least half the race!!! The stupidist rule I have ever heard of!! Any way, I got two hole shots, won one moto decisively, (beating Mr. AJS fair and square) and ended up in 5th!!!!